18. LET ME IN

🦋MIA🦋

Taking a long sip of my steaming green tea latte in a cozy corner of the bustling café, I put it aside as I go through the notes the lecturers gave us today on my matte black macBook, its sleek design catching the dim lighting in the room. The weight of the semester's workload is beginning to press heavily on my mind. It's now a whirlwind of assignments, group projects and CATs. Every week is now bringing a new wave of academic challenges and responsibilities. Memories of high school float through my mind where we were often told that university life would be a breeze, requiring minimal effort and studying but it turns out that those were all empty lies. "Can you remember back in high school when were told that in university life and studies is only a walk over and all easy?" I ask Aria who is sitting opposite me also busy studying.

Breathing out a heavy sigh, she slumps on top of the table resting her head on it and tracing the small circles and designs with her finger. "Ah, yes. I can remember, they filled our innocent minds with lies. Pure deception. It's funny how we were led to believe that once we stepped into university, our worries would evaporate and our workload would be a mere afterthought." She laughs dryly, taking a sip of her green tea latte that I ordered for her so she doesn't steal mine like she usually does.

The truth is, university life demands a level of dedication and commitment far beyond what we had ever imagined. The workload seems never ending and the pressure to excel is ever present. Getting done with studying an hour later I close the macbook, gently shutting it down and Aria's beautiful sunflower necklace drawing my attention which she delicately runs her slender fingers on, a smile plastered on her lips. "I love your necklace."

"It's a gift from Jodan. He gave it to me on our date last night."

My smile widens at how happy Aria is. I'm happy for her and Jodan.

"I still can't believe Jodan and I have been together for four years now. Time flies so fast, it was only yesterday that we started dating in high school, now we're in university together." Her smile widens as her fingertips caress the smooth surface of the sunflower necklace.

Time sure flies so fast.

"I've heard alot about your new buddy in campus." Aria's inquisitive gaze meets mine as she wiggles her eyebrows at me, smiling mischievously as I take a bite of the slice of ham and pineapple pizza, scrunching my nose in distaste. It's not as tasty as I expected it to be considering the constant hype from my friends.

"What did you hear?"

"The moment Lucas steps inside a room a cold chilly wind blows, like in the movies." Aria narrates dramatically making all sorts of gestures as I laugh softly at her actions. "Nobody sits next to him and he also doesn't like people being near him. He doesn't talk to anyone, even the lecturers sometimes teach in fear when he's in class. Who wouldn't fear him after he beat someone to unconsciousness once."

With everything she has just said I burst out in laughter as all she does is stare at me like I've gone crazy. "Where did you hear all that. It's all lies."

"They aren't." She states in certainty and my laughter slowly dies down getting replaced with a scowl on my face.

Lucas has beat someone to unconsciousness?

"You're serious." I state and she nods.

"When Lucas is with you, he's a completely different person. He's calm and okay but when he's alone he's like an angry and troubled person ready to pounce on anyone who makes a wrong move on him. He's basically a ticking time bomb."

The Lucas Aria is talking about and the Lucas I've known these past months are two totally different people.

"To so many people, Lucas is harsh, heartless and has a cold demeanor. That's their perception of him but when you get to know him for who he really is, you'll realize he isn't any of that. He's friendly, nice, full of energy and talks alot. He has a gorgeous heart and his aura is positive and gentle. When you're with him, you feel appreciated, supported and genuinely loved and cared for. He gives you the freedom to be yourself. Lucas is a dreamy man and it's an honor to be able to call him your own. Even with your brokenness...my brokenness, he still doesn't think any less of me even when the rest of the world does. He allows me to be me without question. Every single beat of my heart tells me he's a rare gem and I wish the world would see that too and stop judging him."