12. LEAVING THE PAST BEHIND.

🦋MIA🦋

The smell of burnt toast wafts in the air, clinging to every surface in the kitchen and almost suffocating as Aria, Jodan, Vin and Tommy each pick the charred slices of french toast before them. The toasts, once golden brown and delicious, now bears the marks of my failed first attempt at cooking. Their surfaces are singed and blackened resembling more the remnants of a fire than a breakfast delicacy. I'm ecstatic that I've started learning how to cook and not having to depend on take outs anymore. So even though the french toasts are burnt, I'm still eager to see the reaction of my friends and brother. With hesitant hands, each of them pick a piece of the toast, their fingers pressing against the hardened surface. The texture crumbles beneath their touch leaving behind a trail of black crumbs.

As they take their first bite, their expressions contort, brows furrowing and lips curling in discomfort as they struggle to chew through the toughened crust. Each bite seems to require an extra effort, the burnt toast resisting their teeth as if it holds a grudge for being subjected to abuse. My first french toasts are horrible.

I frown as they lay their half eaten pieces of toasts back on the plate. "It's horrible."

"It's not horrible, it's good." Vin counters wiping his mouth with a napkin as his face contorts further. He picks a glass of water gulping it down to get rid of the bitter taste lingering on his tongue like a stubborn stain refusing to be washed away. He's clearly lying because he doesn't want to hurt my feelings. He couldn't even take a second bite.

"You don't have to lie just to please me."

"It's not that good." Tommy admits to me this time. "It's good but not that good."

"Why're you saying that to her, the french toast is good. Look, she's sad now." Vin nudges him and they start arguing. A simple thing as food tasting is now turning into an argument. My lips curl into a frown as sadness creeps over me. I had put an effort to prepare these hoping to impress myself and my loved ones but it has turned out horrible.

"I don't want to lie to my sister." Tommy, gazes at me keenly, sensing my distress and pulls me into a warm and comforting hug. Gently pulling away from the hug, he looks into my eyes with a tender smile. "Mia it's your first time in the kitchen, don't be sad. You made the effort and that's what matters."

Actually I'm not sad, I'm only disappointed that my first attempt at cooking came out a disaster. Since we all can't cook to save our lives, we decide to go to our usual Café in the city for breakfast. After showering and doing my morning routine, I sit down infront of the huge vanity mirror to do my makeup, the soft morning light filtering in through the windows casting a gentle glow on my face. I begin by prepping my skin, applying a light moisturizer to hydrate and create a smooth canvas. Then I reach for my favourite foundation, carefully blending it in with a soft makeup brush. The foundation seamlessly evens out on my skin tone, leaving behind a natural and radiant finish.

Moving to my eyes, I select a sparkly pink eyeshadow palette that catches the light and adds a touch of glamour to my look. With a fluffy eyebrow brush, I gently sweep the shimmering shade across my eyelids building up the colour to achieve my desired intensity. The pink eyeshadow creates a playful and feminine vibe, accentuating the natural beauty of my eyes. Next, I carefully line my upper lash line with a jet black eyeliner, creating a precise and defined wing that elongates my eyes. The flick of the eyeliner adds a touch of sophistication and drama to my overall makeup look.

To enhance my lashes, I reach for a volumizing mascara and with a few coats, my lashes become long, bold and luscious, framing my eyes beautifully. The mascara adds depth and intensity to my eye makeup, making my eyes more captivating and alluring. Now, it's time for my lips and I opt for a soft nude lipstick that complements the pink eyeshadow perfectly. The creamy formula glides effortlessly across my lips, leaving behind a natural hint. The nude shade enhances the shape of my lips, giving them a plump and inviting look. With my makeup complete, I turn my attention to my hair, gathering the locks and twisting them into a messy bun, allowing a few loose tendrils to frame my face.