35. I'M NOT GIVING UP ON LUCAS AND I.

🦋MIA🦋

Lucas opens the door to the Jeep and I step out, walking towards the gate as he closes it. It's 8.15 pm now and he insisted on driving and accompanying me back home, then taking a taxi back. He always insists on driving me home himself. The cool night air brushes against my skin, sending a shiver down my spine. I can hear the distant hum of crickets, and the occasional cars passing by, but otherwise, it's eerily quiet. I glance back to Lucas who is standing by the jeep, looking concerned. "Do you want me to accompany you to the house, just in case you get in trouble with your parents about where you were. Atleast I can help you explain yourself to them." He offers worriedly but I shake my head, his presence will only complicate things further for us if my parents see him, escalating the tension.

"I can handle it." I assure him and he nods even though he's still clearly worried. "I have to go." Hugging him tightly, I breath in his scent that calms me down a bit before letting him go. "Good night and sleep well. Call me when you get home so I can know you arrived safe. Here." I throw the keys of the Jeep to him and he catches them swiftly. "Drive it back home, no need to take a taxi. I insist." I push his hand away that's holding the keys after noticing his intention of giving it back to me. "You came all the way here for me and I don't want you to take a taxi back. There is no need for that, just drive the Jeep back home."

With a sigh, Lucas nods and I smile at him, holding the straps of my mini backpack tightly and opening the gates, starting to walk towards the house. He's still outside just looking at me as I walk away. Each step I take feels like a mile, the distance between us growing with every passing moment. Even though it's only a gate separating us, deep down it feels like so many barriers are doing so and it's filling me with sadness. We just found each other and already we're so scared that we'll lose us.

"Mia!" I hear and turn around seeing Lucas pushing the gates open, entering and running to me. His hurried footsteps echo in the air, a rhythm that quickens the beat of my own heart as he closes the distance between us. The bodyguards move to intervene and push him out but I immediately hold out a finger, halting their advances in an instant. My eyes lock onto Lucas, his figure approaching with urgency, and I know I cannot deny him this moment. Reaching me, he hugs me tightly while breathing heavily, wrapping his arms around me and encasing me in a cocoon of safety and comfort, shielding me from the chaos of the world outside. I hug him back just as tight, burying my face in his chest and clinging to his jacket. Being in his arms always feels so familiar and safe I just want to cling to him forever and never let go. We fit together perfectly, like two pieces of a puzzle. "Call me if you need me, I'll be right outside your gate. I have to make sure you're okay before going back home." He speaks, still in worry about me getting in trouble with my parents.

Letting go of each other's hand, I walk to the house but he pulls me back, grabbing my waist and kissing me deeply and slowly, taking his precious time. I run my fingers through his luscious hair as everything melts away as usual and it's only us, his lips on mine and this kiss that's consuming and magical. He pulls me closer at the waist and leans down so I can look at him, but I close my eyes instead for a few moments afterwards, still lost in his touch as I gasp for air.

Feeling his soft lips on my forehead, I open my eyes looking into his eyes. "I'm right outside." He lets go of me and opens the gate walking out. The bodyguards are now staring at us with eyes wide open, maybe because in our special moments we totally forget about everyone around. Lucas kissed me right infront of all of them and didn't care about their presence.

Taking a deep breath, I head to the mansion swinging the heavy wooden door open and stepping inside. A black Rolls Royce phantom is parked in the driveway which means my parents have already returned home from work. They always drive back together in the same car even though they work in different companies. Stepping on the Italian marble floors, I look around not seeing any of my family members downstairs. Sighing in relief, I ascend the grand spiral staircase and end up bumping on some of the maids who are busy attending to their duties, muttering hasty apologies to them as I take the stairs two at a time to my bedroom.