40. BUTTERFLY.

LUCAS.

Mia is now fast asleep in the backseat of the car, my brown trench coat wrapped around her to keep her warm. Aria, my friends and I are sitting on the pavement by the store just talking and looking around, the cool air caressing our skin. We've been here for hours making stories and laughing constantly, easing the sadness and bitter moods we've been in. Aria talks alot and surely knows how to lift people's spirits and cheer them up. It's great to have her around.

"Isn't happiness all that matters?" I finally manage to ask. "Why do where I come from and what I have matter so much? It's like Mia and I have to fight to be together. We've been put through alot already and it's hurting the both of us. I got treated so horribly tonight just because I'm a waiter and a son of a mechanic. How can some people be so cruel and narrow minded What those judgemental hypocrites don't know is that I'm proud of who I am and where I come from."

Malin taps my shoulder, hugging me before letting go as he smiles.

"I think the world has created a huge gap between the rich and poor. The two are considered different in many ways from the lifestyle, housing, jobs we do, the kind of education we get, opportunities we have, health care and services provided, to many other things. We live in a society divided by economic inequalities. The prejudice, bigotry and malice is too much and it's further widening the gap between the haves and have-nots. It's like living in two different worlds that are miles apart, yet that's not even the case. At the end of the day, it'll always come down to one thing, we're all human. We're all born into this world in the same way. We all feel pain, happiness, cry, bleed, smile and laugh. We're all human beings." Aria states as she looks into the distance. "Social status, societal standards, someone being at the top and the other at the bottom, it shouldn't matter. People shouldn't put so much emphasis on it."

Jakoda, Tk, Malin and I all glance at Aria as she continues talking. I'm not surprised to hear all this from her. She has always been a good and kind hearted person.

"You know what, if you think about it, everyone of us will die at some point. Rich, poor, old, young and whatever shit that exists. Whatever the fuck you have achieved, it won't fucking matter because the truth is, we all have the same destination. We're all living under the shadow of mortality. I can't help but wonder why we as human beings keep burdening ourselves with the thoughts of what to achieve and accomplish. In the face of death, all these popularity, fame, money, wealth and achievements won't matter." Malin chimes in. "I wish we could all focus on living simply in happiness and contentment and be kind to one another. We should spend time with the people we love because all we have is this life and this lifetime."

"Damn, that's the bitter truth." Jakoda chuckles, shaking his head.

"Lucas," Aria calls out for me and I turn facing her. "I've never seen Mia like this, so lost and distraught. She's tired and exhausted. She has sacrificed so much, you know. She's only nineteen and already hurting this way. She needs to be free from all the burden, expectations and responsibilities she has on her shoulders that are always put on her, even for a few days. Take her away from here. She needs a break so she can be herself again. Seeing my bestfriend like this breaks my heart." She whispers in a trembling voice, looking down to the ground. "It's breaking me too."

With how shaken Aria is getting, Tk moves closer, hugging her and she leans into his touch, resting her head on his shoulder and the tension in her body gradually melting away. His closeness is a grounding force, anchoring her in the tumultuous sea of thoughts and fears. I can tell how much Tk already cares for her because it's so evident in his actions. He doesn't have to say it out loud, his actions are enough to scream it out to the world.

I've been thinking about taking Mia away from here and it has been on my mind for some days now. I want her to be herself, enjoy life and live freely even if it's only for a few days. I'm glad that even her bestfriend is thinking of the same thing.