39. WE KEEP ON FIGHTING.

LUCAS.

I pick a third glass of wine gulping it down to erase the uneasiness, pain and emptiness in my heart but it doesn't work, the pain not going away but only intensifying. I don't think it's even the third glass, maybe sixth or seventh but I don't care. I'm hurting inside because of all this judgement, ridicule and desolation. Why am I being treated so awfully like this? Because I come from a poor family and not an influential lineage? Because I'm from a low class family and have an insignificant sir name? In these rich people's eyes, I'm worthless.

"Where did he get the awful clothes he's wearing. They're obviously made by cheap people like him." I hear someone whisper and my hand starts trembling, the glass almost slipping out of my grasp. These clothes I'm wearing were bought as a gift with my dad's hard earned money. "Ms. Lazano bringing someone like this here to this dinner party is beyond outrageous."

My heart sinks, the room feeling stifling and every gaze burning into me like searing hot coals. The judgement and disdain is bearing down on me, threatening to crush my spirit. The bitter taste of the wine does little to numb the sting of their words. With each gulp, I try to swallow the bitterness of the situation, but it lingers like a bitter aftertaste. Gulping down the rest of the wine, I place the empty glass on one of the tables, my hand still trembling.

Mia is still walking around with her parents busy talking to the elite businesspeople, politicians and dignitaries present. Everytime she tries coming back to me, her dad pulls her back, restraining her and not allowing her take even a single step towards me. All we can do is gaze at each other in sadness from a distance. The barriers between us are only growing stronger and preventing us from being together.

"Hey." I hear and turn around coming face to face with Lila, Tommy's girlfriend who knocked my hand at the last dinner party and made me spill wine on the table. She eyes me from head to toe, snickering in disgust. "Is that your tenth glass?" She asks as I pick another glass of red wine, her eyes scanning me up and down, taking in every detail of my body and clothes. "I've been watching you right from the second you stepped in here. You sure do drink alot, I'm not surprised though."

She has been watching me right from the second I stepped inside this ballroom. Why?

"Why're you not surprised that I'm drinking alot?" I ask in boredom, taking a long sip of the wine.

"Because you look like the type to drink alot. Your kind are always complaining about lack of jobs yet all you do is drink all day and night." Her answer doesn't come as a surprise to me at all. I was expecting this from her because that's exactly how awful she is.

"My kind."

Lila glances behind us to Mia who is now having a conversation with the senator and then at me. "I can see she doesn't mind that you're poor, I mean don't have money. Look at her though." She narrows her eyes at me, crossing her arms against her chest. "Mia is the first and only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lazano, the most successful and influential family in the state. She's also a former super model loved by many. She can have whatever she wants just by the click of her finger and people worship the ground she walks on. The world basically revolves around her. She's a queen. What about you, what are you?"

I remain silent at her bitter words, not saying anything back.

"I think what you should do is leave because clearly nobody wants you here. What were you thinking in that stupid head of yours. That you will be welcomed here with open arms?" She takes a threatening step towards me, her eyes blazing in anger and resentment as she stares back at me. "Be realistic and accept that you'll never be a part of us. You'll never be accepted here. Once Mia finds the right man for her, she'll leave you because lets be honest, why would she choose you, a poor lowlife who can't even fend for himself over rich, educated, cultured and wealthy men who keep throwing themselves at her. Wake up and stop dreaming. You're nothing but a dirty pathetic peasant. Get the fuck out." She hits my arm aggressively with hers as she walks away, sashaying through the crowd that's yet again full of low whispers and murmurs.