4: Yellow Paper

Harry was in the kitchen with his mother, Anne, one evening. Anne had decided she wanted brownies for dessert tonight. So they were in the kitchen preparing them together.

"So, have you decided how you're going to deal with your relationship with Zayn?" Anne asked.

"What do you mean?" Harry asked.

"Well, you're going off to college away from him and he's going to college here. You'll be three hours or so away from each other."

"Oh... I know that." Harry poured the batter over into the pan. "But we have the whole summer to talk about it. Or at least most of it. I didn't want to end senior year talking about being apart from each other."

"Mhm."

"I will talk to him about it though. I will. But tomorrow is the last day of school and I just want to enjoy it with him."

"Alright. But don't put it off too long. You know what putting things off does to a relationship. Just look at me and your father."

"I know."

And he did know. His father, Desmond, and his mother had been putting off talking to each other until eventually his father cheated and they divorced years ago.

When Harry finished, his mother picked up the pan.

"I'll put this in the oven and set a timer for it. You can eat the leftover batter if you want."

Harry jumped for joy and looked over at the bowl. He did always like eating the brownie batter even though it probably wasn't good or safe for him to do so. But the second he picked up the spatula and thought about putting it into his mouth, he felt the sudden urge to puke.

"I have to go."

"What? Are you okay?" His mother called out.

But he had already ran out of the kitchen and down the hallway to the bathroom to puke whatever was left of his school lunch into the toilet. When he finished, he wiped the back of his mouth with his hand and frowned. Over the last three days, he had been puking two or three times a day. It seemed like he just couldn't keep anything down. He wondered if he was coming down with something.

As he was washing his hands, he heard a slight knock at the door. It was his twenty year old sister, Gemma.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I don't think my body liked the idea of me eating raw batter today though."

"Hmm."

"What?"

"Have you been having sex?"

Harry gasped. "What? No."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure. I haven't."

"Mhm."

"What? I haven't."

"You don't have to hide not being a virgin anymore, you know. It's no big deal."

"Well, I'm not hiding. I am still a virgin. And what makes you think I've had sex anyway?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "Look at you. You've been puking and having unpredictable mood swings. You've been sleeping a lot."

"Okay."

"And yesterday you were craving a hotdog and peaches."

"So?"

"So a hotdog and peaches? Those two things never go together and you never eat them together."