16: Red Velvet

Harry swallowed the last piece of his red velvet cake.

"Mmm. That was so delicious. I can't believe I ate two big slices of it."

"It's your birthday. You deserve it, baby." Anne told him and she took his fork and plate from him and put it in the sink.

"Yeah. But I set a bad example for Benny. No wonder he ate all that cake and threw up on his birthday."

Gemma chuckled and ruffled his hair a little.

"Like father, like son, I guess."

"Yeah."

Harry picked up his phone and checked it. When it didn't show what he was looking for, he frowned and sat it back down.

"Can I go play, daddy?"

"Yeah, sure. But no jumping around."

When he slid from the table, Anne took his bamboo plate and put it in the sink with Harry's dishes.

"I can't believe you're twenty two now." She said.

"Seems like just yesterday you were in that room down the hall from your sister and me. I miss it."

"I know, mom. But it just wasn't enough room for all of us. I couldn't stay. Benny needed his own room with his own bed and a place to put his toys."

"I know." She said sadly.

"At least you two come by and visit. That's what's most important. Because I love to see you."

He nodded.

"More than I can say for dad."

She reached out and touched his hand.

"I'm so sorry your father didn't want to see you when we split. But the fact that he continues to be that way means getting that divorce was the right thing to do no matter how much it hurt."

"I know. But I'm just bothered that Benjamin doesn't have anyone to call grandpa. Come to think of it, he only has us three to call family. That's it. Not that we're not good enough. But... I wish he had more, you know."

"Maybe he can have more." Gemma said and she sat up.

"Harry, I know you're still really young right now. But have you thought about getting married in the future?"

Harry frowned.

"What? Getting married? That's crazy. I'm not marriage material."

Anne put a hand over her chest.

"Why would you say that? Do not sell yourself short. I raised you right and you turned out to be a good man. You are marriage material and any man would be lucky to have you."

"And Benny. That's the thing. It isn't just me. I'd have to find someone who likes Benny too. That's not easy. He's someone else's child."

"Yeah, somebody who is never coming around again." Gemma added. "Just face it, Harry. It's been five years and it's obvious Zayn was just a highschool boyfriend. What you need is a real man now. One who wouldn't dodge the responsibility of raising a child like dad did. Besides, I think having another responsible adult to help raise him will be good for him."

"Gemma. You really don't know anything."

"Huh?"

"You think you know about me or Zayn or Benjamin but you don't. Just because I didn't tell him about Benjamin then, that doesn't mean he wouldn't care about him once he knew he existed. Zayn is not dad. Not in any way, shape or form. And I would appreciate it if you didn't make that comparison ever again."