7: My Son

"Hello?"

"Hey, Professor Payne. It's me. Harry."

"Yes. I know. I saw the caller ID."

"Right. Sorry."

"It's okay. Did you need something?"

Harry pulled his feet up on the couch.

"Are you busy right now?"

"I'm grading some students' papers. Why?"

"On a Sunday?"

"Yes. I didn't finish them all yesterday. It was too many. It happens."

"Oh. Have you gone back to the apartment yet?"

"No. I'm still at my house. Why?"

He looked over at his son who was in the middle of the floor on a plastic mat and playing with playdoh.

"Do you want to come over and work on my book?"

"I thought we already planned to do that this Tuesday."

"We did. But I was thinking maybe we could do it earlier. What do you think, Professor Payne?"

"I think that if I were to come over, then I'm obligated to work on your book and go home."

"Or... we could do more." He suggested seductively.

"No we can't. When you call me professor, that means that our relationship at the current time is strickly professional. Which means I should only be doing business with you."

Harry deflated.

"Oh."

Then there was a sigh on the line.

"Harry, we both know why you really called. You called because you want to take advantage of my invitation. But let me remind you I have a first name. And for as long as you don't use it, I can't help but feel like I'm overstepping some boundary by sleeping with you. Yes it is just sex. But if it's sex, that still means something more than my profession requires. Which means there's more to me than just being a professor."

He smiled.

"Of course it is, Liam. I know that. I just keep forgetting. It's a habit. I don't mean to."

"I know. That's why I'm not mad. So do you still want me to come over?"

"Yes."

"Then will you be clear of what you want me to come over for? If it isn't really for the book, I have to know that so that there's no misunderstanding when I get there. I want you to just say what you want. It's okay to tell me you want to have sex with me."

Harry glanced at his son.

"I can't. I'm not alone right now. In fact, most times I'm not. So I can't just use those words freely like you can."

"Ah. Then how about this. You never have to say the actual words again. All you have to say is 'I want you.' And I'll know exactly what you mean."

"Well, Liam."

"Yeah?"

"I really do want you. Bad."

The professor's grin could be heard through the reciever.

"Let me finish the last of these papers and then I'll be on my way. Can you give me another hour?"

"Sure. I'll be home. See you then."

Harry hung up the phone and then looked over at his son who was poking holes in the playdoh with his finger.