29: Work Related

Zayn sat a bottle of water on his office desk and opened a package of gummy snacks.

"Keep the bottle here, Benjamin. Don't sit it anywhere else. And please try not to knock it over. Okay?"

"Okay, Papa."

Zayn handed him the package.

"Good. So eat your snack and do not leave this office. I mean it. Do not step foot out of the door unless I come get you. Papa has to do something important."

After giving him one last look, he picked up a notepad and pen from his desk and headed out of his office. As soon as he stepped out and faced left, he saw Louis at the counter helping out a customer who was there. It made him think about all the things that had happened between them and he instantly felt sad. Even if breaking up with him was the right thing to do, it didn't mean he didn't regret that he did it. Because he did.

Zayn walked past the front counter and went into the lobby area as the customer left. Louis looked at him and since Zayn was already looking at him, they met eyes. Ever since he tried to talk to Louis about putting aside their differences that day, they hadn't had any more conversations together outside of work related things. And that really sucked because he and Louis used to be so comfortable and easy going around each other. Romantic relationships sure did ruin friendships.

Zayn surveyed the empty front lobby and began to scribble notes down on his notepad. That's when he heard someone speak to him.

"What are you doing?"

He hadn't been expecting to hear that so close by. But he faced the voice and saw Louis standing behind the counter looking directly at him.

"Are you talking to me?"

"I'm looking at you, aren't I?"

"Oh.... Right. Um... I'm taking notes. I'm thinking about remodeling this place."

"Why?"

"Because the stuff in here has been here since my father opened the business. But we are a luxury dry cleaning company. We need to look like the product we sell. What's here might have been luxurious back in his time, but now it's just outdated and needs to be more modernized."

"I see."

They kept looking at each other and didn't break eye contact.

"Do you need some help?"

Zayn looked down at his tablet.

"Well... I don't think I can do it alone. But are you sure you really want to help me?"

"I'm good at this stuff. Of course I want to help. As long as you give me credit when it's all done."

"Deal."

Louis smiled and came from behind the counter and over to him.

"What do you have so far?"

"Upgrade the seating."

"That's it?"

"Well that's all I have on the list. But I just started. What would you suggest?"

"New paint for starters. New paint will make these old walls look so much better."

"I agree. Any color suggestions?"

"Depends on what you're going for. But my mind is thinking maybe a light orange-ish color with a green accent. Or the oposite. Depends on how it looks in the space."

"Why orange and green?"

"Sunset and Vine? Hollywood?"

Zayn chuckled.