8: Fire Dragon

Zayn's mother was right. Zayn really should have thought about it before he showed up at Harry's front door demanding to see their son. In hindsight that clearly was not the best way to go about it. But how could he have helped himself when he'd seen that boy who looked just like him that day? How could he not want to know him and confirm that he indeed was the child he made from that one night in the back of his car?

He couldn't. And now that he did go by Harry's house and recieved the reaction he did, he wasn't so sure why he was eager to tell his mother about this in the first place. Who was he kidding to think he could really just enter Harry and his son's life after all that had happened and have everything be okay? At this point he was better off just forgetting them.

So he knew what to do. He had to call his mother and update her like he said he would. Even if that meant lying so she didn't have to worry. So that's why he was in his office calling her on his phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey, mom."

"Hi. How was your weekend?"

"It was good. I'll tell you all about it later but listen, about that conversation I had with you a couple days ago, I did go see the man that came in the store. The one named Harry Styles like the one I dated in highschool. But it wasn't the Harry I knew. It was somebody completely different. And that child was his and his wife's child."

"Ah ha! See? I told you you couldn't be sure it was him if you didn't see his face."

"Yeah, you did."

"So there you go. You're not a father and you don't have to worry about your father being upset. Talk about those odds. You are lucky."

Zayn felt a hollowness at the pit of his stomach. If only she had known the truth. If only she'd known she was calling her grandson something unlucky.

"Yeah, maybe I am pretty lucky but we can talk later. I gave to go right now. Love you."

"Love you too."

When that call ended, Zayn only felt a little bad for lying. But what else was he supposed to do when going without ever seeing his son again was already beginning to feel like the only option for him?

"Hey."

He looked up to see Louis standing in the doorway.

"Oh. Hey."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I'm fine. I was just... thinking. What's up?"

"It's lunchtime. So I'm on my lunch break."

"Oh right. Yeah. It is lunchtime. Time is really flying."

"I guess it is."

Louis sat on the corner of his desk.

"Do you still want to take me out to dinner?"

"Say what?"

"You said you wanted to take me out to dinner next time. Well, I accept your offer. And I was thinking maybe we could go this weekend."

Zayn paused. He forgot he did say that. Honestly he forgot he was dating Louis too. A lot went on this weekend.

"Oh right. I did say that. And we should do that. When and where do you want to go?"

"This Friday. And I don't know. You choose someplace."

"Me?"

"Yes. If you're taking me out, surprise me."

He chuckled.

"Surprise you, huh?"

"Yeah."

"Alright. Fine. I'll think of something. But while I'm thinking about it, I would like it if you could just take a moment and consider the stress you're putting me under."