21: Minus One

Zayn was standing behind the front counter at the dry cleaners and he was watching Louis count the cash in the drawer so they could leave for the night. He had just explained to Louis the newest clues to look for in order to find the coat thief.

"So basically what I'm saying is that based on the time frame and the type of person we're looking for, you only have three employees to keep an eye out on. So I want you to do that for me. Okay?"

"Gotcha."

"You remember the three employees, right?"

"Lan Zhao, the cute little old lady, Gabriel Hudson, the really weird manager that wears that stupid black hat to work every day no matter how hot or cold it is and Rex Hunter, the shady college freshman."

"Yes. Do you think you can do that? Do you feel comfortable?"

He stuffed the money into an envelope and then began to fill out paperwork about the final count of the drawer.

"Yes. I told you before that I was going to investigate for you, Zayn. So I will. But I do thank you for the tip about who it could be. It makes it so much easier to choose from the pool of people. How did you come up with those clues anyway?"

"I was... just out and about and the idea came to me. Kind of. In a way."

Louis smiled.

"Hmm. You are one of a kind there, Zayn. You know that?"

"I am?"

"You are. You're humble, you're sweet and you're such a gentleman."

"You believe that?"

"Of course I believe that, silly."

He stopped writing and looked at him softly.

"I've been thinking about the other night. When we had sex for the first time. While dating someone, I've never waited that long in my life. But I'm really glad I did. I like that we put emphasis on the right parts of a relationship. You know... not jumping into each other's beds right away. We actually explored our personalities first."

Zayn giggled nervously.

"We did."

"So... I think we should continue to be serious."

"Be serious?"

"Yeah. We should keep valuing things other than sex in this relationship."

"Meaning..."

"I want you to meet my family."

Zayn gasped before he realized it.

"What?"

"Relax." Louis laughed out.

"It's just meeting my family. And it's not even that bad. It's just me, my sixteen year old twin sisters, Daisy and Phoebe, and my step dad. You know this."

"Right. I know. "

"So let's figure out a day for you to meet them. They hear about you from me all the time, but they still don't know who you actually are. We should end that."

Right away, Zayn felt his hands get clammy. This could not be a good thing in any way.

"I'm not sure that's a good idea. Your step dad might not even like me."

"Once again, relax. The more he knows about you, the better he'll feel about you for me, so just make sure you hold a conversation and be honest about yourself like you have been with me. Besides, you actually have a better chance with me than Phoebe and Daisy have with bringing home boys. Because at least he doesn't have to worry about me ending up pregnant too soon."