28: Family Relationships

Zayn was in Harry's kitchen getting something to eat when his phone rang the next day. He plucked it out of his pocket. When he saw it was his mother, he rolled his eyes. He didnt really want to answer it either. But he also didn't know why she was calling and he knew he would feel bad if he didn't answer it and later found out that something was wrong.

"Hello?"

"Hi, sweetie. How are you?"

"I'm fine. You?"

"I'm okay. I'm just a little worried about you. That's all."

"Why are you worried about me? I'm fine."

"After what happened last night, I do not think you're fine."

"Well I am. I'm perfectly fine. I took my son home to his father today and now I'm here with them both. So I'm fine. What dad does is what dad does."

She sighed.

"He doesn't fully understand what 's really happening right now. Trust me."

"Why are you taking up for him?"

"I'm not. It's the truth. He doesn't. You have to understand that he has always been adamant about making sure you do what's best."

"I get that." He said. "I really do. And I love him for it. But mom, he remembers names from that stupid list. He won't let it go and he won't let me live it down. He'll keep trying his best to guilt trip me about it until I do what he wants."

"Not true."

"Then why was that the first thing he brought up when he was telling me about the second business location he purchased for me?"

She had nothing to say.

"Exactly. Of course I understand everything I have done in the past and I regret most of it. But I feel like my son has taught me more responsibility in these last five months than two years of having this business. I really don't need him to teach me lessons in order to do it."

"I know, dear."

"So I'm done doing letting him do that. I'm a man with a family whether he likes it or not. So I would appreciate it if he stopped trying to police me and realize that he has a grandson too."

"I understand. But can I ask you something?"

"What?"

"Why didn't you tell me? You called me that day and said that you thought he was your son. But then you called back and told me it was a mistake."

"I know. I lied and I'm sorry. But at the time me and his father weren't on great terms after I went to see him. I wasn't sure he wanted me around and I just thought life would be easier for everyone if no one else knew about Benjamin but me."

"So it wasn't that you didn't want me to meet him?"

"No. Mom. I want you to meet him. Some day when the time is right. But whenever that is, I want you to meet him with dad. That means I want you both on the same page. I don't want dad upset with you because of me."

"That won't happen."

"It already has."

She exhaled once more.

"Okay, then. You just hang tight and I will talk to him as much as I can to make him understand how lucky we are to have a grandchild. And by the time you're ready for us to meet him, your father will have come around. I know it."

"I sure hope so."

"He will. I have to go."

As they were saying their goodbyes, Zayn heard Harry come into the kitchen.