15: Lofi Beats

Keeping secrets between adults was one thing. But keeping a secret between two adults and one child was another. Yet, that was the very situation Harry currently found himself in with Zayn and his son.

Much to his satisfaction, Benjamin did keep the fact that his Papa was now coming around a secret from his Aunt and grandmother. But the more time went by, he wondered if he could. It seemed like such a tall task to ask of a four year old.

As long as his Papa was just in a book and his daddy said he wasn't around, he lived with that and enjoyed the stories. But now he knew his Papa could be in his life physically and he could tell him stories too. That kind of excitement could lead to over sharing.

Nevertheless, despite that looming over Harry, he did his best to forget about it. Because if it did happen, he wouldn't blame him anyway. Having two parents was a gift. And having been one who was old enough to remember living with his divorced mother whose ex husband stopped coming around to visit after so long, Benjamin's excitement over having his Papa around was understandable.

"Daddy, look what I made." Benjamin had said one evening in late January.

Harry, who had been editing his column for Faux Magazine, looked up from his tablet where Benjamin held up a green star he'd shaped with a press mold.

"Wow. A star. That's wonderful. And you even put googly eyes on it."

"Yeah."

"Are you going to keep this one?"

He shook his head.

"This one's for Papa."

Harry seemed surprised.

"Really?"

"Yeah. Can you call him? I want him to see."

Harry smiled warmly at him. Benjamin still hadn't seen Zayn since his birthday. He'd only talked to him on the phone. To call Zayn would not be a problem for him.

"Sure, I can. But you know he's been very busy and that's why he hasn't been over. So we'll see how available he is to talk right now."

"Yay!"

When he jumped up and down, Harry put a gentle hand on his shoulder to stop him.

"Be careful. If you get a nosebleed, that would make it very hard to talk to him."

That was true. So he calmed down and waited patiently while Harry called.

Seconds later, Zayn's voice came in on the receiver.

"Hello?"

"Hey."

"Hey? Is everything alright?"

"Yeah. Sorry. I know I shouldn't be calling your personal phone when you're at work."

"No, no, it's totally cool and I don't mind. But it is unusual and it has me worried."

"Well, don't be worried. Everything is okay. Benjamin's fine. I'm fine. We're both fine."

"Well that's good. So what made you call?"

"Benjamin wanted to talk to you. Hold on, I'll put it on speaker."

After putting the phone on speaker, he placed it down on the table.

"Alright, your Papa's on the phone, Benny."

"Hi, Papa."

"Hey. I'm so sorry I haven't been able to see you lately, I've been very busy. But I miss you. What have you been up to?"