6: The Odds

The next morning, Harry had wakened to an empty bed. When he didn't feel anyone next to him, he quickly sat up and jumped out of bed and covered himself over. After opening the door, he ran out of the room down the hallway. He thought the professor would be long gone but by the time he reached the living room, he saw him packing his bag.

"You're leaving?" He asked quietly.

"Yes." He said.

"I didn't want to be here when Benjamin wakes up. I didn't want to confuse him."

"Confuse him?"

"I didn't want to be in your bed, Harry. If he catches me there, it will definitely be confusing."

Harry hugged himself and Professor Payne noticed he seemed sad.

"What's the matter?"

"I know it's just sex but..."

"Hey. I told you I get lonely too. So I understand what you're trying to say. So if another night, even when we're not together working on the story and you're still lonely, you can call me. I'm open to it again if you want. But only when you want. And only on your terms."

"Really?"

"Sure. And it still doesn't have to mean anything. We don't have to kiss each other goodbye or anything like that. We could just meet up. But I just have to make sure I have protection at all times."

"Yes. Definitely that. And if we're going to make it a regular thing, I'll get some extra help. After all, condoms can break."

"I would fully support that."

Harry smiled and gazed at him through sleepy eyes.

"Okay. See you later."

"You too, Harry. I'll call you about the book."

"Okay."

When Professor Payne finally left, Harry locked the door behind him and went back to bed. Last night was amazing. And now that he knew the professor would like to use him for sex just as much as he wanted to use him for sex, being lonely didn't feel so lonely anymore.

* * *

Most of the time, Zayn was the first one to the cleaners every morning. He was usually there bright and early at seven thirty waiting for his employees to arrive. But the next day the store was already open. Only a couple other people had the key besides Zayn. But only one worked in the morning on weekdays.

"Louis?" Zayn called out.

After some time, Louis came from the back. "Oh. Hey."

"Hey. You're here early."

"Yeah. I am. I slept really good last night. When I drink liquor like that, it puts me out."

"Oh. Well... good to know the uber got you home okay."

Louis let him pass and then followed him to his office where he unlocked the door and went inside.

"You could have called me, you know. I would have been okay with that."

"Called you for what?"

"To make sure I got home okay since I was the one doing all the drinking."

Zayn looked as if he had just realized that. "Oh... right. I should have."

Louis stood in the doorway. "You've never dated before, have you?"

"What?"

"I have a feeling that you've never actually dated before."