39: Responsible Man

After getting the results of the test that day, Harry had sat down on the toilet and just cried. This could not be happening again. It just could not be. But it was. He was just in disbelief right now.

And he wasn't the only one. Zayn had been so shocked to find out the news that he went out of the house to sit on the back porch and just stare out into the yard. Because as it currently stood, he was the father of one child and soon, he would be the father of another.

Poor Benjamin had been cast aside in all this. All he wanted was for someone to play with playdoh with him. But he could tell in the way that things are going that he wasn't going to get that today. So he went to his bed and cried until he eventually fell asleep.

About an hour later, Harry finally emerged from his bedroom to check on Benjamin. He thought that Zayn had left. But he was surprised when he went to the kitchen and saw Zayn sitting outside. He opened the door and went out.

"Hi." He said skeptically.

Zayn didn't speak back.

"Has it registered in your mind yet?"

"No." Zayn simply said.

"Me either."

Zayn said nothing.

"Listen, I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean for this to happen and I swear I didn't plan this. I would never do that to you. I just-"

"Harry. I don't... feel like going back over it right now. Okay? I'm just trying to process the fact that you're pregnant again. So can we please... not talk about it right now?"

"Sure. I can wait."

Zayn stood up and dusted his hands off.

"Where are you going?"

"I think I need to go back to work and just get busy for while so I can process things. But I'll be back."

"You'll be back?"

"I'll be back. And tell Benjamin I'm really sorry I didn't get to play with him."

"Wait. When will you be back?"

"Soon, Harry."

"Zayn..."

"I said soon. Just let me go."

Zayn left a quick kiss on his cheek and didn't bother to wait for one in return before he was gone. And the fact that he just left like that only made Harry cry again. This was that feeling he had a couple weeks ago that something bad was on the horizon. So he definitely foresaw it. He just didn't forsee that it would be a baby.

* * *

Harry had been here before. The part about finding out he was pregnant that is. It was just as much as an emotional roller coaster then as it was now. But the difference is that he expected to go through it alone because of what happened.

This time around wasn't like that time. Zayn was in his life and he loved him. They loved each other. The last thing he would ever expect was to have to worry that Zayn may not want to be around for a second time.

So as quickly as he could, he called up Niall and asked him to come over as soon as possible.

Being the great friend he was, he did leave home and come by right away. And even though he knew Harry did say to only use those keys for emergencies, he gathered this must have been an emergency. So he unlocked the door and came inside.

There on the couch was Harry lying down with red, puffy eyes. He rushed over to his side.

"Whoa, man. Are you okay? What happened?"