31: The Innocent

Later that Sunday evening, Zayn was lounging around the house and doing very little. That was usually how his Sundays went. And just because Louis had been there and left before noon, it didn't change. However, now that two new people had come into his life, he realized they'd become such a big part of everything he did now. He was quite lucky to have them. And not just that, but he never wanted to take for granted those moments he could be soaking up with them.

Therefore, he got dressed and made the trip to Harry's suburban home. When he arrived, Harry's car was in the driveway. So he parked behind him and went up to the front door.

He knocked. But no one answered. So he rang the doorbell.

Still, no answer. Maybe he was in the shower and couldn't hear the knock. But Zayn knew he always took his phone into the bathroom and he always had it turned up out of habit. Surely he would hear that. So he took out his phone and dialed up Harry.

But even that was to no avail. His call went unanswered.

At first he was concerned. But then he remembered that lately Harry had been going to many important places with Liam regarding his book. So maybe that's why he wasn't answering the door. Maybe they took Liam's car and he was out someplace where he had to turn off his phone. Perhaps another meeting he didn't tell him about.

Maybe.

Either way, so much for showing up without calling first. Therefore he returned home and sent a text telling him he missed him.

Monday morning, he woke up to a reply text he hadn't seen coming. Three words: leave me alone.

Not the ideal response of course. But at least he was able to ascertain that Harry must have been upset about something. But what? Instead of sending a text back, he honored Harry's request by leaving him alone and headed on to work.

When he got there, Louis was already there and had opened the store up for him. He followed Zayn with his eyes as he walked behind the counter.

"Hi, Zayn." He said cautiously.

"Hey, Louis."

"Have you thought about my proposal?"

"What proposal?"

"About the significant raise."

"Not right now, Louis. I'm not really in the mood. Let's talk about your raise later. But do me a favor. When Lan gets in for her noon shift, send her to my office please."

He smiled.

"Okay. Good morning, by the way."

"Good morning."

When he went into his office, Louis exhaled. Zayn obviously still hadn't known what happened yesterday between him and Harry. He wondered if Harry broke up with him yet.

Harry was on Zayn's mind most of the day and he had resolved that letting that text go unresponded to wasn't enough anymore. He needed to go by and see Harry. He needed to get to the bottom of what happened. But first, he had something very important to do here.

"Zayn." Louis had said around lunch time.

"Yes?"

"Lan, is here for her noon shift."

"Send her in."

A couple seconds later, Lan stepped inside.

"You wanted to see me, Mr. Malik?"

"Yes. I did. Close the door and have a seat."

The short sixty six year old closed the door then sat down in the big chair across from him.