23: Big Wheel

Despite how much Zayn actually got around in high school, he had only ever dated one person in his lifetime outside of Louis. Therefore, he had only been apart of one breakup outside of Louis. And that was with Harry Styles.

But there were some differences between the two. One major one is that with Harry, it was much worse for him. He loved Harry so much and when Harry walked away for good it completely broke his heart. He'd lost the best thing that ever happened to him in his teenage life. So he knew then he would never be the same without Harry in his life.

However last night when he talked to Louis inside his car and told him things were going to have to end, he didn't get the same feeling. He didn't feel like he was losing the best thing that ever happened to him. Rather, he was happy and relieved, thrilled to have ended their relationship and excited to see Harry. He couldn't leave his house fast enough.

But even with all that, the biggest difference between the two breakups is that when they broke up, Zayn didn't have to see Harry again. So even though there was a point where Harry was so hurt that he cried in front of him and told him he hated him, Zayn didn't have to see his face almost everday after that. He no longer had to go to school with him or walk past him in the halls. He didn't have to sit at the cafeteria table and see him from afar, wishing that he could be next to him.

But that wasn't so the case with Louis. Their breakup may not have been as nasty as his and Harry's but Zayn still had to go to work and see him. He still had to walk past the front counter during the day and he still had to talk to him about all the important things about the business. There was no getting around it. Firing him was not an option.

So that meant that coming in to work Monday morning was the most dreadful experience of the day. He was going to have to face him at some point. It might as well have been then he so he could get it over with.

When he got there, Louis was already there and getting ready for the day. So he swooped past without saying a word. Not that he was trying to pretend he wasn't there. He wasn't. He just didn't know what to say. And besides, he didn't know how Louis would act either and he wasn't prepared to have his day ruined that early.

By lunch time, Zayn was hiding just inside the doorway and peeking out of his office at him when he wasn't looking. He knew he needed to say something. He couldn't let it go on that way with no explanation or apology.

So it wasn't until closing time that he finally worked up the courage he had been missing. Yy then, they were the only two there and he didn't have to worry about Louis hollering at him or broadcasting their personal business. Especially when no one who worked there here knew they were dating in the first place.

"Louis. Can we talk?"

"Why do you want to talk?"

"Because I really want to tell you how wrong I was and how sorry I am. The more I think about our breakup last night, the more I feel like I could have handled things better. I should have."

Louis didn't bother to look up at him.

"Oh, you mean not wait until after I invite you to meet my family and have dinner with them? I totally agree."

"Well, yeah. That too. But I was talking about what I said to you. Even though I tried not to be harsh with you, I feel like bringing Harry up at all was wrong of me. I shouldn't have told you that I wanted someone else. That's hurtful."

"It isn't."

"It isn't?"

"Not at all, Zayn. I understand. You have someone you love who was around before I was. That's fine. Go be happy."