36: Emu, Ostrich

It was a beautiful Spring day. After Zayn's father left that night, Zayn had called Harry and told him about the meeting he just had. It was kind of adorable to him that it was Harry who actually cried. He was so happy for Zayn and in turn happy for Benjamin.

It was like the conversation he had with his sister and mother some time back. Benjamin was finally going to have more people to call family. But it wasn't just family he married into. It was a family he already had. His own father and grandparents.

Zayn's parents were running late to the Zoo. So Zayn and Harry had gone in with Benjamin to get a head start on the exhibits and see as many as they could. And considering there were both Emus and Ostriches here, Zayn was really excited to teach Benjamin the differences just like he said he would.

Finally when they reached the reptiles, they'd gotten a call from Zayn's mother. She was asking where they were so they could meet them. So when Zayn hung up, he knew then it was official.

"Is that them?" Harry asked excitedly.

"Yes. It's them. They just came in through the entrance. They're on their way."

"Oh my gosh." He said.

"I'm so nervous."

"Don't be. It's okay. They're ready to see you."

"What if they don't like me?"

"Impossible."

When he pecked Harry's lips, Harry grinned at him lovingly.

"I love you."

"I know."

Then Zayn bent down and looked at his son, who was holding Harry's hand.

"Do you remember the people I showed you pictures of today? Your other grandmother and grandfather?"

He nodded.

"Well they're on their way to see you now and they'll be here any minute. Are you ready to meet them?"

"Um... yeah." He said cutely.

"Great. Because they're ready to meet you."

Some people who were viewing the reptiles did give them funny looks as if they were doing something wrong by standing there doing nothing, but Zayn didn't care. This was a moment he had been waiting on for what felt like a long time. And it had finally arrived.

Moments later, when Zayn was distracted by talking to Benjamin, he felt someone tap his shoulder. It was Harry.

"Is that them?"

"Where?"

"Coming this way. Over there."

Zayn looked up in the direction Harry's finger was pointing. Sure enough he saw his mother and father and they were waving in his direction.

Be cool, be cool. He kept telling himself. But it was really hard to remain cool. His parents were meeting his son for the first time. How was he supposed to just "be cool" at all?

When they caught up to the three of them, Patricia was smiling so big, he could see all of her teeth.

"Oh, my goodness. Is this him? He's so handsome."

"Say thank you?" Harry said.

"Thank you." He stepped towards her and hugged her.

"I know you from the picture."

"Picture?"

"Yeah." He nodded.

"We showed him pictures of you so he would recognize you." Harry said.