33: Empty Space

Harry remembered it like yesterday. He remembered the night he sat down in the living room with his sister and handed is mother a resealable bag with his pregnancy test inside. At first she assumed Gemma was the one who was pregnant and started to jump around for joy.

But then they quickly explained that it wasn't her who took the test. It was him. And from there, Harry went on to explain about how he had unprotected sex for the first time with Zayn on prom night and that when he kept getting sick, Gemma advised him to take the test.

Anne had only stared at them. She didn't understand. How could this happen? How could her son be pregnant?

Well that question only led to Harry recounting everything he'd learned in Sex Ed about three years prior. And that led to Anne realizing she hadn't known as much about her son as she thought. Everything from Harry possessing the Dual Male Reproductive System or even him no longer being a virgin. She'd been clueless about it all. And now her son was paying for it.

However, despite how big of a surprise it really was, she really liked Zayn and hoped that he would be around to take care of the baby and support Harry. But her heart was broken when Harry told her he broke up with Zayn and didn't want him around anymore.

Having been divorced, she'd seen how hard it was to be a single parent having to raise children. She never wanted Harry to go through that too. But for whatever reason that Harry wasn't telling her, he was choosing to go through it. Therefore she turned to convincing him to at least tell his child about his father. He owed him that at least. Even if Zayn was never going to be around.

In the end, Harry was certain that was better than seeing Zayn again. So he settled on it. And it's why he would show Benjamin photos of his father and tell him stories about him. Even if Anne and Gemma wanted him to include Zayn, Harry was adamant about never letting Benjamin meet him no matter what.

So that's why for the last few days, Harry wondered what would happen when he got there and told his mother about Zayn being his life again. Would they judge him? Would they laugh at him? Would they be angry at him like Zayn's father was at him? That's what he wanted to know the most.

Harry had called ahead. So his mother was there to open the door for him when he came up.

"Hi, mom."

"Hi." She noticed his smile.

"Wow, look at you. You look so much happier than you did when you dropped Benjamin off. The time away really do you some good, huh?"

"It did, yes. But it wasn't being away from him that helped. I just had to do some things."

"Well, I'm glad you did them. I don't ever want to see you look like that again."

They came into the kitchen where Benjamin was sitting down at the table and having lunch. He lit up as soon as he saw his father.

"Daddy!"

"Hi!"

When he got down from his chair and ran over to Harry, Harry hugged him tightly. Even though he sent his don away for a few days, he couldn't wait to get back to him. He was a bright spot in his life. And knowing that gave him the best idea.

"Hey, do you want to help daddy do something very important today?"

"Uh huh."

"Are you sure? Because what I'm talking about is a very big thing."

"I can do it."

"Okay then. Why don't you go finish eating and I'll come sit with you in a minute."

Benjamin went to sit down and Harry stood up.