22: Over Again

"And so from that day on, I knew that I would not be able to hold that boy back. Louis just does his own thing. But that's okay with me. I know I'm not his real father. Still, I love him like I am and I will continue to support him like I am."

"You are my real father. A real father is someone who cares for you and takes care of you and loves you. It's beyond biological. That's why I changed my last name to yours."

Zayn smiled warmly.

"I know for a fact that must make you feel good inside, Mr. Tominson. Being a father is an amazing privilege."

"It definitely is. And please, call me Mark. I don't mind."

Zayn hesitated. He didn't want to call him Mark. It felt so wrong. Because at this point not only was he faking with his son, he was also faking in his home. To call him by his first name felt like disrespect.

"I'd rather not, Mr. Tomlinson. I'm just not comfortable."

"And that's alright. I respect that. In fact, it tells me you have respect for me. And I think like most fathers, we like to see that in whoever our children are dating. Makes getting along in the future much easier."

"Oh boy." Phoebe said.

"Don't let him start talking like that, Zayn. Or next thing you know, he'll be asking you if you bought a ring yet."

Zayn's eyes widened.

"What?"

"He will." Daisy added.

"That is not true." Mr. Tomlinson said.

"Phoebe. Daisy. Eat your dinner."

But he saw the way Zayn was looking at all of them and he knew he had to say something.

"Don't let my daughters scare you. I don't do that. But I do care about my children and I do care about who they are seeing. That's why I'm glad Louis set up this dinner. And I'm glad you agreed to be here. I just want you to know that my son seems to really like you. And as long he likes you, I like you."

Louis reached over and touched the back of Zayn's hand softly and suddenly Zayn felt a pit in his stomach. He had already barely touched his food in the first place. But now he'd completely lost his appetite. He felt like a terrible human being.

Here Louis was being genuine and honest. Not one time did he ever hold back his feelings, his wants or his concerns from him. He shared everything and he shared them confidently in hopes that Zayn was doing the exact same thing for him. But he wasn't. In fact he was hiding from him. Not just his feelings. But the most important thing of all. A son.

Louis didn't deserve this. He deserved someone better. Someone who liked him for him. Someone whose heart didn't reside in some other place. More specifically a heart that didn't reside in a suburban home on the other side of the city where a certain green eyed brunette lived.

With that, he gently removed his hand from Louis' and sadly looked down at his plate. If he didn't know anything else, he knew today was their last day together.

* * *

Zayn had been the one to pick Louis up and drive to his family's house for dinner. So as nervous as he was to have to end things with Louis, having been in the same car with him sure made things easier. Because now he didn't have to wait. He also didn't need to be cruel by requesting to go somewhere and talk just to break up with him.

Therefore when Zayn parked in front of Louis' place and Louis leaned over to kiss him goodbye, he turned his head away with a heavy sigh.

"Okay. What's wrong?" Louis asked.