Chapter 40- Apology

Thank you for everything-I love you.

Adriano Calvetti

„Oh my God. I am so so sorry, Felicia. I had no idea." Amara says, full of shame and regret.

What the fuck has Darius done?

What the fuck have I done?

I am still glaring at my best friend.

How could he do that? And then he even smirks like he did something good but he ruined everything.

I planned this out and for years-fucking years-she never found out. Even when Felicia and she became friends she didn't realize it.

I never wanted Amara to find out that I freed Felicia a few years ago. That I did everything in my power to make her husband regret what he did to her when she was still a little girl.

I didn't want her to know it because she would think I did it to keep the promise.

And most important...I didn't want her to know that I cared.

I wanted her to see the monster she already thought I am.

I wanted to be like my father, or rather what my father wanted me to be. I didn't want to care but I just couldn't let this happen.

I couldn't do this to someone so innocent. She deserved a childhood full of love and happiness, not this. Only the thought of what this bastard did to her made my blood boil. And every time I tried to not care it came to my mind that this girl could have been Amara. Grayson and Celeste could have arranged a marriage way earlier and not with me.

They could have forced her to have sex before she even knew what that was. No, they could have married her off with some old disgusting bastard that would have done whatever he wanted with her. Felicia's faith could have been Amara's faith and I couldn't live with that.

No fucking body in this world should ever go through something like that, especially someone who is as good as Felicia. Mateo is one of the smartest people I know and he didn't fall in love with her for fun. He fell in love with her because she was worth it.

"No, Amara, it's really ok. I am safe now. There is nothing you have to apologize for now. You didn't say anything hurtful. I decided to tell you and honestly, I probably should have before but I don't know... there was never the right moment. I am glad that you know now." Felicia replies after Amara apologized for the 1000th time.

"I don't want to ruin this evening, especially after our best friend just told everyone about the news. I am going to smoke a cigarette on the balcony and then when I come back I don't want to hear a single word about it. I want to talk about baby names." Felicia adds with a genuine smile on her face and then stands up.

I clear my throat when she leaves the room.

"I am also gonna get some fresh air. I will be back in a minute." I say and then stand up and walk out.

I walk down the long corridor with fast steps until I am in front of the door that leads to the balcony.

I take a deep breath and then open it.

"Hey," I say as I see Felicia leaning against the balcony, her elbows resting on the railing.

She takes a cigarette out and just as she wants to put it between her lips she stops and turns around.

"Fuck, I am so stupid. I forgot a lighter. Do you have fire?" she asks and I pull the black lighter out of my suit pocket.

I put it near her mouth and lights her cigarette on. She takes a drag and then holds the rest of the cigarette pack to me.