Lies

*Camilo*

"You can't do this - dad, please, let me come!" I pleaded, continuing to follow them down the street, our lanterns held up by Luisa and my father and my uncle. Abuela spun around and silenced me with her eyes. 

"Enough, Camilo. We will make sure she is alright, you are waking up the whole village!" she hissed.

"I don't care!!" I shouted back. "I can help, look!" I shape-shifted into Luisa. I didn't get her powers when I did this, but Luisa was still strong and 2 feet taller than me.

"You want to help now, when it is your friend's issue?" Abuela whispered angrily. "Everyone in our town is important, everyone!"

"Camilo," Luisa turned around and locked my eyes. "I promise you I will make sure she is okay."

I faltered under the sincere promise in her eyes, not wanting to offend her, but I just couldn't stay when I knew Y/N was hurt at home. "I know you will Luisa, but I just ... she is my ..." I felt the tears coming up again. I was so exhausted and scared I thought I would scream.

"Enough, Abuela, he's coming," my father stepped in and his voice said there was to be no discussion. He looked Abuela in the eye. "He has his grandfather's bravery, don't you see?"

Abuela's eyes widened and she stopped walking, staring at my father. I didn't wait around for what was going to happen, I shape-shifted once again into the fastest kid in the village and ran as quickly as I could. Luisa was right behind me. We skidded to a stop as we reached the path up to her farmhouse. I shifted back into myself and ran towards the door. I felt Luisa pick me up and yelled angrily at her. "What the hell are you doing?!"

"You can come, but we do this my way," she said calmly, holding me up easily by the collar of my shirt. It cut into my skin and made it hard to breathe.

"Okay! Just put me down and get in there!" I yelled.

Luisa went to the door and put her ear to it. I followed suit. We couldn't hear anything. Luisa knocked loudly and waited. While we waited, my father, my uncle and Abuela caught up to us along the path, bringing the lanterns and throwing the front door into the light.

There was no answer. 

"Enough of this," I said, grabbing for the front door knob, but Luisa once again grabbed my arm to stop me. 

"I go first," she said. "Transform into me."

I did as she said and waited. She turned the doorknob and pushed the door open. There was no one in the front entrance, but I stopped breathing when I saw the scene as we walked inside. Plates broken, a chair clearly thrown across the room... was that blood on the floor?

"Y/N!" Ignoring Luisa's command, I shifted back into myself. I wanted to be me when I found her. I pushed past Luisa and ran to Y/N's bedroom and pushed it open. I didn't bring a lantern, but from the moonlight from the window, I could see she was sitting up in bed. She turned to me, unsurprised, as if expecting me to arrive.

"Camilo." Just one word, but her voice sounded like it had been broken into a million pieces. I ran to her and pulled her to me, up off the bed. Her arms wrapped around me tightly and I buried my face in her hair. She was okay, she was okay, she was... I shifted to try and look at her face and bumped her arm. She gasped and pulled her arm to herself.

"Y/N? Are you alright?" Luisa arrived, holding the lantern up to see the room. "Where is your father? Dolores heard screaming."

"What is going on in here?" Y/N's father was awake, stumbling out of his room. "Senorita Madrigal!" he gasped, spotting my Abuela. "I ... I ... what are you doing here?"