Awake

The Heart of Camilo: Book Two

*Camilo*

Two Years Later

I woke up suddenly, yelling out. I sat up, gasping for breath, my hand on my chest to ground myself. I sighed in frustration once I had caught my breath. Another nightmare, every damn night. I shut my eyes, running my hands through my hair, trying to block out the familiar images, the familiar feelings of panic, as I groaned and rolled out of bed. I checked the time and saw it was probably about time to get downstairs, it was almost 10 a.m. It was Saturday, so I didn't have school, but I'm sure there were chores to be done. I rolled my eyes, pulling on a new shirt. Suddenly, I grinned, remembering that Y/N was supposed to come over today to help water all the new vegetables that Isabela had planted. I went to the door and headed downstairs, frowning at the empty house. Where was everyone? 

I entered the kitchen, which was just as empty, but you could tell people had been there since there were dirty plates in the sink and some leftovers. I took an arepa from a plate and bit into it slowly, leaning against the wall. Had I forgotten something, some event? There was always some event, but because I usually helped the family prepare for things like that, it was weird that I wasn't aware of one if that was where everyone was.

I finished eating and was about to head out to check outside when I suddenly heard the front door open. I poked my head out of the kitchen and saw Y/N closing the door quietly, as if she was trying to enter the house without anyone hearing her. I stood and watched her, grinning, as she carefully closed the door, not seeing that I was watching her. She was wearing her favourite red skirt that I had gotten her from an out-of-town market we had attended last month. The village had really expanded the last couple of years, with more and more people moving here, creating villages and towns that branched off from ours. 

As she turned away from the door, satisfied that she had closed it quietly enough, she spotted me watching her from where I was leaning in the doorway and froze, grinning embarrassedly at being caught. I smirked at her. "What exactly are you doing?" I asked.

She moved her hand behind her back. I hadn't noticed her holding something, it must have been small. "Nothing," she said, grinning. "I was just ... just ..."

I walked towards her. "Just ... just ...?" I grinned.

"It's ... it's a surprise for your birthday, so you can't see," she said, backing up, still grinning at me, keeping her hands behind her back.

"I don't turn 18 for another two weeks," I pointed out, continuing to move closer to her as she continued to back away. "Nice try."

She stifled a laugh, putting her hand against her mouth, still slowly backing away. "It's a ... early birthday present?" she said.

"Is that a question or a statement?" I said, laughing.

"It's whatever you need it to be in order for you to walk out of here and join your family at the gardens," she said, laughing, before bumping into the wall behind her that she had backed into in the corner of the room.

"Everyone is outside?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, they are doing that demonstration for the new group that arrived last week," she said. "They are just settling in and need to plant their crops."

"Interesting." I had reached where she was at the wall and grabbed her neck gently, running my thumb along her jawline. "I'm going to need to see what's in your hands."

"Over my dead body," she said, grinning.

I grinned back and quickly reached behind her back before she could react, grabbing her wrist, pulling it up and holding it against the wall near her head, my other hand going to the base of her neck to pull her face to mine as I kissed her, pushing her up against the wall. Her free hand found the collar of my shirt, holding it tight as she closed her eyes, leaning into me. Suddenly, she pushed me back against the other wall in the corner, twisting her arm away from the hand holding it. I laughed, going for her hand again, but she hopped up so that I had to grab her around the waist as she wrapped her arms around my neck, kissing me again. After a moment, I let her feet touch the ground again, keeping her pulled close with my hands on her back, and then moved my lips down her neck, kissing her down to her collarbone, enjoying how fast she was breathing, before she gently guided my face back up to hers, kissing me so hard I stumbled back a little and had to let go of her for a moment to steady myself on the wall behind me. My heart was hammering a thousand beats a minute. We were hardly strangers to kissing, but in the two years we had been together, we very rarely got privacy like this and I wasn't used to getting to kiss her for so long. Without breaking the kiss, I grabbed her again so tightly I was nervous I might be hurting her, pushing her back up against the opposite wall so our bodies were as close together as possible.