Wedding

*Y/N*

The morning of the wedding arrived beautiful and sunny. I knew today was the day I had to stop hiding, I couldn't possibly miss the wedding and do that to Luisa. Last night when I was making dinner, I found myself looking at the door and out the window over and over, wondering if Camilo would come. It had been almost two days since I had seen him - already felt like an eternity. Why hadn't he come? Was he still mad? Was he being punished and couldn't come? I winced at the memory, his eyes when he thought I was saying that I didn't want to get married. Why had I said that? Of course I wanted to marry him, I just wanted ... more than just having babies with gifts. What that meant, I didn't know, but it wasn't like I wanted to figure it out without him. I just ... I sighed, not even knowing what I had been thinking that night. I was still haunted by thoughts of my mother, what my life could have been if she hadn't done the things she had, what my life would be if I was part of a family just as obsessed with gifts as she was... I just had wanted to talk, to say it out loud, all the confusing thoughts. But of course I couldn't marry him and expect to not have kids...

I put my hand on my stomach, picturing myself pregnant, Abuela standing over me, wondering what gift my child would have so that she could put him or her to good use. I winced. Would Camilo protect our child from that when he seemed so willing to just accept his own fate? I sighed. But I missed him so much I literally felt sick at this point. I wanted to see his face, see that he was sorry, have him tell me all the things I wanted to hear - that he would never do something like that again, that we didn't have to have kids if we didn't want to, that we could leave if things got too much if we did decide to have kids... but how did you even stop yourself from having kids after you were married? I knew that Pepa and Felix were married at 21 and didn't have Dolores until they were 29 - almost 8 years! How did they do that? Was there something I was missing?

I sighed in frustration, not wanting to think anymore, just knowing I wanted Camilo to show up at the door and kiss me and make me forget about all this. I got up out of bed and washed up, getting my dress from the closet and putting it on. The ceremony wasn't until 1:00, but I was part of the bridal party and I had to be there early.

"Diego, I'm leaving now," I poked my head into his room after I had eaten breakfast. "I left your clothes on my bed, make sure you're there for noon, okay?"

He groaned and rolled over. "Yes, ma'am," he said sleepily. 

I said goodbye to Maria and started the walk to their house, spotting the elaborate decorations set up in the courtyard from far off. Isabela had gone all out. There were already people running around everywhere, setting up the chairs, the alter, getting the food prepped. I steadied myself, wondering what I should do if I saw Camilo, when suddenly someone grabbed my arm and pulled me around.

"Y/N!" Mirabel was hugging me before I even knew who it was. "Thank god you're here. I think everyone was nervous you wouldn't come!"

"It's Luisa's wedding! Of course I'm here!" I exclaimed, surprised. "I know Camilo and I still need to talk, but Luisa is important to me, you all are!"

"Do you want to talk to him?" she asked.

I took a deep breath. "Let's just get things organized and I'll find him later," I said. "Is he out here yet?"

"No, he's talking with Tio Felix upstairs," she said. "He's been going up there every morning ever since what happened to wake Camilo up and they have a long talk before he comes downstairs."

I once again felt that pang inside me. I had no parents to help me through my first fight with the person I loved. I sighed and tried to shake it off. I smiled at her. "Where do we start?"