Caught

*Y/N*

I woke up in the morning with a huge smile on my face, absolutely glowing. I rolled over and hugged my pillow. Last night was just ... I put the pillow over my face and grinned.

"Y/N! Wake up!" Antonio was pulling at my arm. "It's time for school."

School. I hadn't been for a over a week now. The idea of just going back to regular life was so appealing I grinned even more, lifting myself up and getting out of bed. "Let's race to brush our teeth!" I said to Antonio, and he took off, giggling.

I quickly got dressed, poked Mirabel awake and then headed to the door. Mirabel caught my arm right as I was about to head downstairs. 

"Are we going to do it today?" Mirabel asked. "Our homework?"

"I thought we agreed to give it a day?"

"I know," she said, "but I'm just nervous thinking about ... our teachers ... waiting around on us and if they might want to talk to our parents if our homework is late," she replied, looking worried.

"Our teachers really, really need that homework," I replied. "They aren't going to risk us messing it up by trying to ... talk to our parents."

"Right," Mirabel said, still looking worried. "But I was just thinking, Abuela always goes for a lunch with some of the other elders in the village on Wednesdays. Everyone will be out of the house doing their chores for the village. We could do it then. It might be the best time."

I paused. It did seem like a good window. "But what about school?"

"We can come home during lunch," she said. "The timing will be tight, but if we're a few minutes late getting back, it's worth it to just get this done."

I sighed. "Okay, fine," I said. "We'll do it today. But we won't have time to actually go deliver it to ... our teachers. Where should we keep it?"

"We'll hide it in here right after we take it," she said. 

"Leave a lit ... homework alone in our room?" I asked, my eyes widening at her and my lapse in the code words. "Doesn't that seem like a -" I gestured with my hands to indicate 'fire' "-hazard?"

"Right..." she trailed off. "We could skip the afternoon and just bring it to ... our teachers?"

"On our first day back?" I said. "We'll get in so much trouble." And I just wanted one normal day, for the love of God.

"Wait," she said, "Duh! We'll just put it in a -" she gestured like she was holding a lantern.

"Oh," I said. That did seem obvious. "Okay, so I'll meet you out at the back of the school right at the beginning of lunch. We'll have to be fast."

"Okay, it's a plan. Now let's go down to breakfast before Camilo eats everything."

I laughed, following her down the stairs. Camilo was at the table already, his plate piled high with food, laughing and talking with his father. My heart swelled so much I actually felt faint for a moment, grabbing the handrail of the staircase, just pausing to watch him for a second as Mirabel continued on without me. I loved watching him when he was just ... being Camilo. I grinned and continued down the stairs. As I reached the bottom, he noticed me and a smile broke out on his face, looking around for Mirabel, I assumed, hoping to get me to sit next to him before she blocked him again, and gesturing to me to come and sit quickly. I slid in next to him, giving his hand a squeeze under the table and greeting his father, who quickly started piling food on my plate, elbowing Camilo out of the way to do so.