Attack

*Y/N*

Ramirez never returned to gag us and take us to the basement, which meant Camilo and his family had not come at all. I tried to tell myself that it was for a good reason, but I was devastated. Diego and his acceptance of his so-called fate of being Ramirez's prisoner after I was killed was really hard to handle. He either sat staring at the wall or laid down on the mattress, not speaking. Every now and then I would try to engage him, but it was pointless. He would answer with one word in that same flat, dull tone to anything I asked. It was dark now, an hour or two after sunset, but I couldn't sleep. I watched his chest rise and fall, his face not peaceful even in sleep.

Suddenly, I heard shouts and yells from outside. Frowning, I got to my feet slowly so that I wouldn't disturb him and went to the window, peaking through the small cracks in the boards. The window faced the forest mostly, but I could see part of the path, and there was a faint glow coming from somewhere in the direction of the front of the house. What was happening? I continued to watch out the window as best I could, before suddenly, there was a huge explosion somewhere close by, enough to make me grab onto the wall for support as the ground shook. My heart turned to ice. 

I ran to Diego, shaking him awake. He groaned and slowly opened his eyes as I continued to shake him. "What?" he asked groggily. "What's wrong?"

"Something is happening outside," I told him. "There is a weird light and I swear I just heard some kind of explosion, it like rocked the house."

"Camilo and them?" he asked. "Are they trying something?"

"It can't be - Ramirez would have had us in the basement if they had come back, and it's night time!" I said, looking worriedly over to the window, hearing more screams and shouts from outside.

Diego got to his feet quickly, going to the window to look for himself. "If it's not them, then what is going on? Ramirez is doing something?"

"I don't know," I replied, my heart racing. We both watched outside as best we could, and another explosion went off, sounding closer.

"Do you smell something?" Diego asked. 

I did. It smelled like burning wood. I looked around the room and saw it was getting smoky. It was hard to notice in the dark. I left Diego at the window and went to the door, and pulled on the handle, suddenly screaming as the metal burned my hand. 

"What?!" Diego yelled, not understanding why I had yelled out.

"The door handle, it's hot!" I cried. "The house is on fire, it must be in the hallway already!"

As if my senses suddenly were catching up to reality, it was suddenly much harder to breathe, the air suddenly noticeable hotter. Fire began to lick at the bottom of the door. I backed away, horrified, unable to process what was happening.

"What the hell is going on?" Diego yelled, shooting water at the door, soaking it. The flames continued to lick at the bottom but didn't progress on the soaked wood. "If he wanted to kill us - why not just shoot us in the head?"

"He wouldn't kill us, he needs us!" I yelled back. The noise from the fire in the hallway was getting louder, smoke continuing to fill the room. The soaked door had stopped it from entering, but I knew the smoke would kill us faster than the flames would - if the roof didn't collapse on us first.

"Soak the room!" I yelled to him. "We need to stop the roof catching on fire!"

We both shot water up at the ceiling, the walls, soaking ourselves in the process. Smoke continued to fill the room and it was getting harder and harder to breathe. I ran to the window, pulling at the boards with all my weight. Breathing hard, Diego joined me, pulling and pulling. We shot water at the boards, trying to soften it, but that just made it too slippery to grip with our hands.