Epilogue

*Camilo*

Two Months Later

"So, how does it feel to be 16?" Y/N asked, passing me another arepa across the breakfast table.

"I feel amazing, like a whole new man," I grinned, shifting into someone from the village. Everyone rolled their eyes and groaned.

"I don't know how you both will survive after today," Isabela commented. "No more making us all sick with your googly eyes at each other at every meal." She smirked at me.

My grin faded slightly and I shifted back into myself, settling into a sad smile at Y/N, who returned it. She was moving out today with Diego. There was a woman in the village who had lost her husband years ago and was willing to take them in as she had the extra room. Abuela had carefully vetted her to make sure it would be a good match, and Diego and her had hit it off right away. They had already been over there a few times this week to set up their rooms and move the majority of their stuff. Tonight was their last night here.

"Well, I, for one, will miss them both terribly," my mother said, hugging Diego tightly from where he was sitting beside her. "Who else will taste-test all my food?" Diego giggled. "And what will we do without Y/N here? It's like she was always meant to be in this house. But I guess she'll be back in a few years." My mother winked at me and Y/N blushed, putting her hand over her mouth.

"Mami, it's my birthday, I don't want reminders she's leaving tomorrow! What kind of gift is this?" I laughed.

"Don't worry, we have you covered for gifts!" Mirabel said excitedly, speeding upstairs and returning one second later with her arms full of gifts, dumping them on the table in front of me.

The rest of the day passed quickly, with lots of food, presents and laughter. We were allowed to all skip school and chores and spent the day altogether. As the sun was setting and we were eating dinner, I kept looking over at Y/N, my heart hurting that I wouldn't be seeing her every day anymore.

"Oh, don't look so depressed, Camilo," my father said teasingly, catching us looking at each other. "She's always welcome here. You'll see each other all the time."

"Within reason," Abuela pointed out. My parents shot each other a look and I smiled at them. I knew they would let me go see her anytime I wanted and would make sure she was invited here. I looked over at Y/N and she smiled back sadly.

After dinner was cleaned up and people were heading up to bed, wishing me my final happy birthdays for the day, I held her hand as she got ready to head to the nursery.

"Goodnight, roomie," I said, "see you in the morning. I'll go with you, so don't let Mirabel wake you up at 6:00 a.m."

She smiled. "I'll wait for you," she said. "Goodnight."

I headed up to my room, dread filling my chest, the same way it did every night since realizing that the nightmares I had had as a kid were nothing compared to what was waiting for me after everything that had happened. I woke up multiple times a night now, gasping for air, my heart racing at what felt like a thousand beats a minute, sometimes yelling in my sleep according to Dolores. Sometimes the nightmares were about Javier, sometimes about Gabriella, sometimes reliving how I had been hurt, but always about losing Y/N, my brain replaying the scariest moments from two months ago over and over. 

I settled into my hammock, shifting the sky to night, and watched the stars, hoping that tonight will be the night with a dreamless sleep finally. I lost track of how long I was staring upwards when I heard my door click open and shut quietly. Confused, I turned my head towards the door to see who it was. Y/N was at the door, grinning, with a finger to her lips. I burst into a smile. "Are you crazy?" I whispered as she ran up to the hammock and jumped in, jostling me from my spot in the middle.

"You love it," she whispered back, leaning over me and kissing me. "Happy birthday." She grinned and then lay down next to me, wrapping her arms around me and snuggling in, pulling the blanket over us.

"I love you," I corrected her, laughing, pulling her close.

"I love you more." She pushed her forehead against mine. "Now go to sleep." She smiled at me once more, then closed her eyes, interlacing her fingers with mine on my chest, and I felt her body relax as she quickly fell asleep.

I watched her for a while, taking in every detail of her face. Smiling, I closed my eyes, letting sleep take me, and dreamed only of her and me.

The End

...or is it? Keep reading for the sequel :D