Alliance

*Y/N*

I pushed the front door open at home just as the sun was setting, the aroma of the meal Diego and Maria were making hitting me as I entered.

"That smells delicious!" I called out. Maria came into the front hallway to greet me, gasping as she pulled the dress from my arms.

"It's beautiful!" she said. "I can't believe the wedding is so soon! I'll have to get myself down the market myself."

"Diego, Pepa got a guayabera for you!" I called, walking into the house and joining him at the table, laying it down for him. "Try it on for me, if it doesn't fit right, we can go back and get it tailored." He held it up to himself, grinning, and then went back into the room to try it on. I helped myself to some food and sat down at the table, not realizing how hungry I was.

"Oh, Y/N, a letter came for you today," Maria said. "I left it for you on the counter."

"A letter?" I frowned. Who on earth would be sending me a letter? I stood up to go to the counter and get it, when I heard a loud crash from Diego's room. "Diego?" I called, heading down the hallway. "What happened?"

I opened up his doorway to find him on the floor, looking sheepishly up at me. "Did you fall?" I laughed, reaching out my hand to help him up.

"I was trying to get something from the top of my closet," he said. "I just slipped."

"Okay, well, be careful," I said, laughing. "Try on the guayabera." I stood up to head back.

"Y/N?" 

"Yeah?" I said, turning back to him. He had sat on his bed and was looking up at me, holding the guayabera. "Do you think that when you and Camilo get married, I could come and live with you guys at the Casita?"

"Diego, that's years away, are you worried about that?" I sat down on the bed beside him.

"I don't know. I guess," he shrugged. "I just don't know where I should go once you leave."

"Diego, you'll come with us, of course," I said. "I know Maria will be sad to see you go, but you're my brother and you'll stay with me."

Diego was quiet again. "What makes you want to marry him? Like, what's so great about him?"

I laughed. "Why do you ask?"

He shrugged again. "I don't know. Marriage is weird, but everyone is supposed to do it."

"It's not weird when you love that person," I said. "And no one loves me more than Camilo, he shows me he loves me every day."

"So if a guy kisses you a lot, that means you should get married?"

"No!" I said, laughing. "Camilo shows he loves me by how he treats me - I'm not just talking about kissing. He treats me ... like I'm the most special person in the world. He thinks of me first. He's always honest with me. He considers me with every decision he makes. He would die for me."

"You died for him," Diego said.

We never talked about that night, so I paused before answering. "I thought I did, yes," I said slowly, watching him carefully. "And for you."

"But you didn't die," he said, looking back up at me.

"Diego, are you alright?" I pushed his hair back out of his eyes.

"Yeah, sorry," he said quickly.

"No, don't apologize, that's not what I meant. I just want you to know you can talk to me. I never wanted to push you to talk about anything that happened ... before. But just know that you can if you want to." I held his hand.