Epilogue - Part 2

*Camilo*

I woke up slowly, stretching, a few seconds passing until I remembered - I was getting married today. I sat right up, reaching for the clock on my nightstand, checking the time. I had been told I was forbidden from coming downstairs before 9:00 a.m. because Y/N was coming over early to begin getting ready and I wasn't supposed to see her before the ceremony. Isabela would be hosting the girls' getting-ready party or whatever in her room, so once she had come and was safely in there with all the rest of the girls, I could go downstairs. I smiled to myself, putting my hands behind my head, relaxing back down, picturing how she would look in her dress, which I had also been forbidden from seeing. It was only 8:30 a.m. I wondered if she was here yet, wishing I could go see her right now. 

I was relieved I hadn't had a nightmare last night. I didn't want to start the day like that. I had had one two nights ago, the first one I'd had in a while, and it had freaked me out. My father had been right, healing was not linear. After what happened two years ago, the nightmares had come back full force, but thankfully had faded quickly when I actually talked things out with Y/N and my parents and practiced all the coping stuff Bruno and my dad helped me with. Every now and then, though, they came, sometimes it was Gabriella, sometimes Ramirez, me waking up in a cold sweat, that familiar tightening sensation in my chest, not breathing, pure panic. It was little relief knowing they were dead like I had hoped it would be. But I was able to talk about what happened without freaking out, the lingering effects of the nightmares fading quickly as I began my day. I had never again lost control with anyone, which was my only priority. I just wished the nightmares would disappear completely with time.

I rolled onto my side, looking at the pillow and the empty space beside me, wishing Y/N was here already. I grinned to myself, feeling a little ridiculous. How could I miss her so much when I saw her every day, knew that she would be waking up beside me tomorrow? I really wanted to see her. I was a little nervous about everything going smoothly today, nervous about my vows and wanting them to be perfect, nervous that Bruno wouldn't finish the surprise we had been working on for her. He had worked through the day and night yesterday for me. Maybe I could say my clock was running fast and I thought it was 9:00 a.m. already and accidentally bump into her this morning. I just needed to see her face and then I knew I would be okay.

I jumped out of bed, pulling on a clean shirt, seeing my wedding clothes hanging on the back of my door, imagining putting them on later. I was getting married. I was going to be a husband. I took a deep breath. I really needed to see her. 

I pulled open the door and went downstairs two stairs at a time, running into my mother at the bottom as she was coming out of the kitchen.

"Camilo! It's not 9:00 a.m., what are you doing? You're lucky she got here early!" my mother said, cuffing me on the arm. "You aren't supposed to see each other before the ceremony!"

"Mami," I laughed, "that's a silly tradition. She was literally just here 12 hours ago."

"It doesn't matter," she said testily, but she had begun to smile, and then pulled me to her in a hug. "My Milo is getting married today. I still can't believe it." I grinned, hugging her back, and she pulled away, kissing me on the cheek, shooing me into the kitchen. "Go, go, eat something, god knows you won't feel like eating once all the excitement begins, so stock up now."

I was already too excited to eat and wasn't hungry, but I did as she said, going into the kitchen and finding Tia Julieta, Tio Agustine, Abuela and my father making breakfast together. Everyone exclaimed welcomes and 'happy wedding day's at me as I entered, Tia Julieta coming over to kiss me on the cheek, Abuela cupping my face in her hands before she continued rolling arepas, my father hugging me.