Destroyed

*Y/N*

The next morning, Dolores told me to come meet the cousins and everyone outside before school as I was gathering my stuff in my room. I hadn't seen Camilo yet this morning, the flowers he gave me still looking as beautiful as ever on my nightstand. I reached out to touch one, and then quickly headed downstairs for breakfast. All of us seemed to be eating as quickly as possible, so I assumed the meeting had been previously discussed while Camilo and I had taken a few minutes longer getting home yesterday. I looked over at him. He seemed back to normal, laughing and teasing Antonio about something.

As we headed outside, down the path to school, Luisa, Isabela and Dolores accompanied us, claiming to be on the way to do their chores. We made it down the path and out of earshot when Dolores stopped us and filled us in. "So, we have a plan."

"A plan for what?" Camilo asked.

"A plan for ... hello, the problem we were discussing yesterday?" Isabela asked harshly. "Can you keep up?"

Camilo glared at her but waited silently for them to start talking.

"So, we decided that we will tell everyone that Mirabel got a gift at Antonio's gift ceremony next week," Luisa said, also glaring at Isabella. "Did you guys discuss ... whether you want Abuela to know about Y/N's gift or not?"

"What, to make sure we pull the right strings and make the family happy to make sure we can get married?" Camilo asked sarcastically, but directing the sarcasm at Isabela.

"You can be annoyed all you want, but you know how it is," Isabela said coolly.

"I think we should tell them that Y/N got a gift, too," Mirabel said. 

"I don't understand," I interrupted, stopping the back and forth conversation. "Why would Mirabel and I get a gift at Antonio's gift ceremony?"

"Well, we thought we could say that maybe some magic ... spilled?" Dolores said.

"Spilled?" Camilo asked skeptically.

"Yeah, you know, magic in the air, and there was a glitch last time, and oh, my god, whoa, Mirabel has her gift now too, at the same time as Antonio, wow!" Luisa embellished.

"But that sort of makes sense for Mirabel, she's family," I said, "she was always supposed to have a gift, but me? Why would the magic work for me?"

"We can say it's because you guys just love each other so much or something," Isabela gestured dismissively. "Camilo is a Madrigal and has the magic, the magic affected you because he loves you, blah, blah, blah."

"Wow, how romantic," Mirabel said, smacking Isabela in the arm.

"What? It's magic! It's unpredictable! Love is amazing, all that crap," Isabela said. I wondered why she seemed to be in such a bad mood. "I think they'll eat it up."

"I mean ... we really don't know why any of this happens," Dolores said. "I mean, how did the magic save Abuela at all? Why her and not others? And why didn't Mirabel get her gift when she was supposed to? The idea that we don't know everything about magic isn't inconceivable."

"Exactly," Luisa said, "and when it's at Antonio's ceremony, it's like ... magic is in the air, it makes sense rather than it popping up randomly."

Camilo and I looked at each other. "What do you want to do?" he asked me. 

"I ..." I thought about why I had wanted the gift. To protect myself, of course, but also, thinking of the future, about being Camilo's equal, someone his Abuela would value more than just a regular girl. "I want them to know." I said finally. I looked at Camilo, but his expression was unreadable.