Letter

*Y/N*

I threw open the front door, running to the counter where Maria had left the letter. I couldn't believe I had forgotten all about it. I looked around, moving things, but I didn't see it.

Camilo came in behind me, closing the door. "Did you find it?"

"No, it's not here!" I exclaimed frantically. "I don't know how I could have forgotten! Maria gave it to me, I remember thinking I had no clue who would send me a letter, I put it down on the counter... and Diego, something happened, he fell in his room or something, and then we talked, I got distracted." As I was talking, I was scrambling around every surface in the kitchen, moving things around, looking for it, still not finding it, my heart racing. "Where is it?! I can't believe it's not here!"

"Okay, take a breath!" Camilo grabbed my wrists gently, pulling them to his chest. "We'll find it, just take a breath."

"I can't! I can't believe she tried to contact me - what could she have wanted to say?" I asked him desperately, scaring myself a little with how intensely I needed to find this letter, to know the last words my mother wanted to say to me.

"Look at me," he said, holding my wrists tightly still to his chest. "We'll find it. Just breathe and we will search the entire house, room by room. Maria wouldn't have thrown away a letter for you! She must have thought you would read it later. Where is she, anyway? Let's just ask her."

She wasn't home, and Diego wasn't either. I groaned in frustration, seeing their empty rooms when we went to look for them.

"Okay, no problem, you check your room, maybe she put it in there for you, and I'll check the living room," he said, walking away from me down the hall.

Sighing in frustration again, still feeling slightly frantic, I pushed open the door to my room, checking the night table, the bed, my desk - nothing.

"Y/N," Camilo called, and I raced down the hallway. When I got to the living room, he was standing there, the letter in his hands. He sat down on the couch, holding it out to me.

I went and sat beside him, my heart hammering in my chest. I took a deep breath. "Where was it?"

"Just here, on the table in the bowl."

I sat quietly, holding it, suddenly not sure if I wanted to see it, but also knowing I had to know. "What could she have wanted to say?" I asked him again, turning to him. "What could she possibly have to say after everything she has done?"

"I - I don't know, but you could ... read it and find out?" he said, looking at me nervously.

"She thinks she can just write me a letter, like she didn't try to murder me?" I said, standing up and throwing the letter down on the couch. "Who the hell does she think she is? She abandoned me, destroyed Diego's life, and then thinks I would want to read this?"

"You don't want to read it?" Camilo asked, looking confused.

"Of course I want to read it!" I said, beginning to cry. "She was my mother!"

Camilo moved the letter to the table and pulled me down onto the couch, hugging me tightly. I was suddenly sobbing harder than I had in a long time. He held me, making soft 'shh'ing noises, until I finally was able to take a breath. I sat up, looking at the letter, and then reached out and picked it up, ripping it open. I unfolded the pages and read, holding Camilo's hand tightly with my other hand.