Calm

*Camilo*

After hearing Maria and Diego come home, I had gently gotten out of bed without waking Y/N and quickly walked down the hall to greet them, apologizing and saying Y/N was really tired and I had walked her home and we had just gotten there five minutes before them. Maria was a little tipsy and accepted this without question, telling me what a wonderful wedding it had been, with a quick warning to have let her know first before I came over. Diego stared at me, and then his eyes jumped to my ruana, still in a heap on the floor, and then back to me. He grabbed his shirt where the buttons were and held it up, and I realized my shirt was still halfway unbuttoned. I cringed, thanking god Maria had had a few drinks, beginning to button it, going to pick up my ruana. He rolled his eyes and didn't say anything, as Maria clattered around the kitchen, asking me if I wanted any tea. I politely declined and told her I would see myself out, grateful for the cool night air hitting my face. I took a deep breath, leaning against the wall of the house, running my hands through my hair, still not able to believe what we had almost done, lowkey wishing I had just gone ahead with it, the feel of her bare skin still fresh in my memory. It had taken Diego and Maria almost another hour and a half to come home as Y/N had slept. We would have had plenty of time. Stupid brain overthinking everything, my stupid father, stupid needing to be healthy or whatever. I sighed. Deep down, I knew I would have regretted it. I didn't want it like this. I didn't want to mess everything up again.

I began to walk home, lost in my thoughts, and almost walked right into someone as I turned the last street towards Casita.

"Sorry," I said, snapping out of my thoughts and looking up at him. I realized it was Ramirez.

"Oh, hello, Camilo, isn't it?" he said, holding out his hand to me.

"Um, yeah," I replied, shaking his hand. "Nice to meet you. Hope you enjoyed the wedding."

"Yes, I was looking for your fiancée, but I wasn't able to find her," he said.

Surprised, I took a beat. "Oh... we're not officially engaged, but ... wait, why were you looking for her?"

"Oh, she didn't tell you?" he said. "I was trying to talk to her in the market the other day, but she had to go in quite a rush."

"Oh," I said. Y/N hadn't said anything, but we haven't exactly had time to catch up on the minutia of running into random men in the market between everything else. I made a mental note to ask her about it. "Well, you know, the wedding, it's been a bit busy for all of us. What did you need to speak with her about?"

"Just please let her know that I'll stay in town until either her or her brother can make time to speak with me," he said. "I'm staying at the inn, please, tell her to come by, and I'll keep trying to find her."

"Um, okay..." I said. He hadn't answered my question, but he spun on his heel and began to walk away from me, quickly disappearing into the dark. I stood there for a minute, confused, before shaking it off and continuing up the path towards the house, where I could see the glow of the lights still from the reception. It had to be almost 2:30 a.m., but it wasn't unheard of for the party to still be going. I went around the back and, sure enough, there were still people dancing, though the crowd had thinned substantially. I checked my clothes again to make sure nothing was out of place, still cringing at Diego having to point it out to me, before walking over and joining my parents at one of the tables.

"Y/N get home okay?" my father asked me. "You have been gone for a while."

My stomach plummeted. Did he know? I felt like he could see it written all over face. "Yeah, we were just talking about everything, you know... processing." I took a deep breath, still seeing her below me on the bed, hair splayed all over the pillow, how fast she was breathing...