Gift

*Y/N*

The journey had gone smoothly and we had made excellent time, arriving at the end of the 2nd day. Javier had not become more talkative as the journey wore on, but he answered any questions we had. He just didn't ever expand on anything or do anything more than just answer the question. Mirabel and I passed the time mostly in silence, every now and then whispering to each other to check in. We took turns on the front of Cancion, guiding the horse to follow Javier through the thick forest, stopping three times a day to eat, pausing at rivers to allow the horses a chance to drink and refilling our canteens for ourselves.

We had arrived in another clearing, and I gasped as we emerged from the trees to see a huge waterfall cascading down a cliff, a small cluster of three or four houses, more like shacks, really, at the edge of the clearing, a little ways away from the waterfall and the river it plunged into. It was beautiful. Mirabel and I stopped the horse to simply stare.

Javier turned around, noticing we had stopped. "You will be wanting a proper meal," he said, "come on."

He was right. We had brought enough food, but without anything to warm it, it was always cold. I was craving hot food and warm tea. We approached the houses, warm glows coming from inside as it was almost nightfall. An old woman, a green shawl over her shoulders, leaning on a cane, walked slowly out to greet us. I poked Mirabel in the ribs. Was this the witch?

"Javier, you have returned!" she called out. I saw a younger woman, around my father's age, emerge from another house and also walk out to greet us. She had long black hair and was wearing a simple white skirt and blue shirt. 

Javier dismounted and offered to take the reins of our horse as Mirabel and I followed suit. Maribel gave them to him, pulling our bags down. The old woman had reached us, and Javier leaned down to kiss her on both cheeks in greeting. When the young woman reached us, he pulled her into a full embrace. "Mi amor," he smiled. "How have things been since I have been gone?" 

The younger woman grinned. "We are so excited to have the guests you told us about arrive." She turned to us. "Please, come inside. My name is Gabriella. This is my friend, Amalia." She gestured to the older woman, who smiled at us.

I felt my anxiety coming down. Javier was quiet, but seemed so warm with these women, and seeing that made me feel much better. The women were smiling widely, gesturing us to come.

"I'm Y/N", I said, following them. "This is Mirabel."

They led us inside the largest of the homes, and gestured for us to sit down. Gabriella began making tea and Amalia quickly brought warm food to the table. Javier went into a room near the back of the house and quietly shut the door.

"You have travelled a long way," Gabriella said. "You must have a lot of questions."

Mirabel and I looked at each other. "That ... would be an understatement," Mirabel smiled.

Gabriella laughed. "Please, go ahead. I know you must be anxious to know how to get gifts of your very own."

"How ... how did you figure out how to get gifts?" Mirabel asked, while I watched quietly, wondering why this woman seemed so familiar to me. Had I seen her in the village? Maybe she travelled with Javier sometimes for work.

"Gifts are born of ancient magic," Amalia said, sitting down with us. "They can be given freely, as it was to your grandmother, or they can be ... acquired," she finished vaguely.