The Plan

*Y/N*

It had worked. My father did nothing to me after Camilo and his family left - surely grateful that I had lied to protect him. I had set to work cleaning the house immediately after they left to get rid of any evidence of what had happened, and he didn't say a word, just watched me for a few minutes until I dared to look up at him from where I was gathering broken pieces of plate from the floor. He simply nodded and slouched back to his room. I had breathed a sigh of relief, finished cleaning up and returned to my room, unwinding the now unrequired bandage from my healed arm. I threw it in the garbage and stared at it for a few minutes, the blood stains almost glowing in the dark in the low light from the lantern. For the second time that night, I had the surreal feeling that it had all been a dream. My father, the attack, Mirabel, telling me a ridiculous way to get my own gift, Camilo, yelling that he wouldn't leave me, holding him and wanting so badly to tell the truth and go with him. I lay down with all the memories that didn't seem real bouncing around in my head and closed my eyes and finally slept, the scent of him still in my hair.

***

The morning woke me gently as the sunlight came through my window. I sat up in bed abruptly - the events of the following night slammed me in the chest, taking my breath away. I could still see Camilo, yelling and thrashing to get back to me as Luisa dragged him from the house, see Abuela looking at me like I was dangerous animal. It wasn't until after I had lied that I realized what I had done - tainted myself in her eyes. I swallowed hard. It didn't matter. I just needed to stay alive long enough to go and get my own gift. That would make up for everything. That would fix everything. My father wouldn't dare touch me again. Abuela would see me as an equal, someone worthy of her family. I would tell her my gift had healed the anger in me - that nothing like that would ever happen again.

Camilo's eyes haunted me. He knew I was lying and couldn't understand. The way he pleaded with me, not understanding ... my heart clenched in my chest. It doesn't matter - I did what I had to. If I had left with them? My father was capable of the worst kind of violence... Camilo could shape-shift, he wasn't immortal. I closed my eyes, trying to banish the thought of anyone ever hurting him from my mind. I would explain today, at the market, like I had said last night. I quickly got up and got myself dressed, listened carefully at the door for my father. It sounded like he was in the kitchen.

I slowly approached him. He turned around and smiled at me. It was such a shock, I almost fell over. Did he not remember...? Was he trying to just move past it, thinking I had saved him out of love for him? I held onto the top of the counter and gripped it hard to stop myself from shaking.

"Mija, good morning. Are you off to the market to get food for dinner?" he asked casually.

The difference in demeanor in the light of day made last night seem even more like a nightmare and not a real event. The kitchen was clean, my father was being normal, was sober and happy. Had it happened at all? I gripped the counter to steady myself and forced myself to answer as casually as I could, "Um, yes, I think I'll make stew tonight, so I'll grab some chicken if I can."

"That sounds great, Mija, but please, remember, come right home afterwards, and please -"

"Be safe," I finished for him. "I ... I will."

Skipping breakfast, I quickly left the kitchen, grabbed my bags and some money, and opened the front door. I saw Camilo again in my mind, yelling, fighting... I shut my eyes tight. He'll be at the market. I'll explain everything, I told myself, closing the front door behind me and stepping out into the sunlight.