Message

*Camilo*

The rest of the day had gone painfully slowly. It was hard for everyone to hide their excitement at meeting all these new people, with gifts just like ours. I was becoming more and more frustrated that everyone seemed to be pressing pause on the urgency of the situation just because we had house guests. I spent most of the day alone in my room, hearing all the grandkids from the other families and my cousins and siblings downstairs talking whenever someone opened the door of my room to check on me. Dolores eventually called me for dinner and I reluctantly came downstairs, grabbing a seat and a plate, glad the day was almost over.

"Valeria, why don't you come sit here?" Abuela said, gesturing to the seat next to mine. 

Valeria appeared beside me instantly, putting her plate down. I internally burned in anger at my Abuela, but tried to hide it so that Valeria wouldn't think it was directed towards her. I looked at her and smiled politely, turning quickly to my food again, not wanting to talk. Valeria looked at me for a minute, but seemed to sense I didn't want to engage, and then turned to her food, as well. I ate quickly, excusing myself, getting some looks at how rude it was so leave so quickly, but I couldn't take it anymore. I went outside, wanting some fresh air. It was dark already - dinner had been late because of everyone talking and I knew the adults had been listening to stories about The Faction and the stories of the families all day.

I went and climbed up on the small stone wall that surrounded Casita, lying down to look up at the stars, wondering where Y/N was right now, wishing with all my heart I could be with her, that the night would go quickly, that we could go in the morning to find her, that we could find her before the Faction or Ramirez could do anything. I sighed, pulling the watch out of my pocket, holding it up to my ear to hear the ticking, trying to breathe and calm down. 

"You really like that watch."

"Ah!" I nearly fell off the wall, scrambling to keep my balance on it, sitting up.

Valeria stood there, smiling apologetically as she watched me recover myself. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you! Your Abuela thought you might want dessert." She held out a small plate with a piece of cake on it.

I sighed, anger rippling just below the surface. I was finding it hard to continue to be polite to her, but I reminded myself that Valeria didn't know what Sofia and Abuela had talked about, that my anger wasn't at her. I took a deep breath and smiled politely again, reaching out to take it. "Thank you."

She hopped up on the wall a couple of feet away from me, letting her feet dangle down instead of sitting along it with her legs up like I was. "It must be torture for you," she said sympathetically, "not being able to go after her."

"That's putting it mildly."

She looked up at the stars, and then back to me. "We have been working out a plan all day," she said. "The people with powers that can actually hurt Ramirez will put up a fight when he comes to take ours. If we don't let him take any of our powers, we should be able to stop him."

"He'll take Diego and Y/N's," I replied. "He won't be powerless. They can do some damage with their powers."

"But Maya can freeze the water," Valeria said. "Or my Tia Rosa can electrocute him through the water."

I looked at her. "True," I said. Maybe we would have a shot at taking him down, after all. 

"Do you ...?" she began, and then stopped, looking like she was unsure if she should continue.

"Do I what?" I asked, frowning.

"Do you think it's true, about twin powers being special? Like what do you think it means?" she asked, looking a little embarrassed.