Revenge

*Camilo*

"Mami, no!" I screamed as Ramirez disappeared, running to my mother's side, pulling her up to me, feeling how limp she was. "Tia, help her, help her!"

Tia Julieta was kneeling next to me, sobbing, shaking her head - and deep inside, I knew what she meant - her gift was gone, no food would help my mother now.

"Please, help her, help her," I repeated, not knowing who I was talking to, still hugging her to me, my words coming out in-between the sobs wracking my body. 

"Camilo, lay her down, lay her down," I heard from behind me, not knowing who it was, unable to register or care. I pulled her tighter to me - remembering her defending me to Abuela, her hand on my cheek as she lay beside me when I was at my lowest, her face when I said I wanted to propose to Y/N. 

"Camilo, let her go, let her go," I heard again. It was Mirabel, sounding like she was a million miles away. I looked up to see my father standing over us, his face stricken with grief as he sank to the ground.

"Papa, no, she's not dead, Tia is getting some food right now, please," I begged hysterically, "we can fix it, we can fix it!" I heard Tia Julieta burst into fresh sobs from somewhere nearby.

My father didn't say anything. He gently pushed me back, and then picked up my mother, slowly standing and beginning to walk back into the house, some of the family following him.

I stayed on my knees on the ground watching him go, agape, before slamming my fists into the ground, wanting nothing more than to kill Ramirez, rip his heart out, rage and agony ripping me in two.

Suddenly, from behind us, there was a huge crash as the wave that Ramirez had been holding in place suddenly collapsed where it had stood, sending a wave of water back down into the forest, and the rest towards us.

"Camilo!" I heard someone scream as the water rushed towards us, knocking us off our feet and sending us slamming into the side of the house. I couldn't breathe, fighting for air, before the wave continued down the hill, into the village, flooding the streets in a matter of minutes. I burst out of the surface of the water as it receded down, gasping for breath, pulling myself to stand on the house. I saw the rest of my family recovering themselves, pulling themselves up, shaking themselves off.

I threw open the door to the house, which was flooded through, stepping into ankle-deep water as I looked for where my father had taken my mother. He had put her on the living room couch, and was sitting there looking at her, not even registering all the water flooding around his ankles or the damage from where some of the windows had broken when the water had hit them, holding her hand. 

"Papa," I said, tears beginning to pour again.

He didn't turn around, just stared at my mother. 

I felt sick, and turned and stumbled out of the room, tripping on things floating in the water, holding onto the walls. Diego appeared in front of me,  saw me struggling, grabbing me and putting my arm over his shoulders, helping me to walk outside again where the water had finally completely washed away, leaving debris and damage everywhere all over the yard from parts of the house that hadn't withstood when the water hit it. "Sit," he told me, helping me down onto the ground. "Camilo, I can't -"

"She's dead," I said hollowly, staring forward. "He killed her."

"Camilo, he took her," Diego said. "Y/N is gone."

I turned and looked at him, snapping back into the present moment. Y/N. He took her. I had seen it but hadn't been able to register it. I swallowed, white hot rage filling my chest. I stood up. "Where's Damian?" I demanded, as Diego scrambled up along with me.