Fire

*Camilo*

Everyone had their turn trying the door over the next hour or so, but it wouldn't budge. Luisa even tried breaking the windows, but they wouldn't shatter, all the chairs and objects people threw at them just bouncing back against some invisible force. I was sitting near the front door, my knees pulled up to my chest, still stunned into silence, my mind racing. What were they doing? What was the plan? How could I have not gone after her when I had the chance? Guilt raced through me. My father came and sat next to me on the floor.

"The second Mirabel opens the door, we will go and find her," he reassured me.

"If they aren't dead already," I replied dully, putting my head into my folded arms.

"I know that's not my son saying that," my father said, the closest to a harsh tone that I had ever heard on him. I looked up, confused. He looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "Where is the boy who had to be dragged screaming from a house not too long ago before he would let anything happen to Y/N? Since when do you give up on the person you love?"

"I ... I ..." I said, faltering.

"I know you're hurt by what she did, for not talking to you, for keeping things from you. Isabela has made it clear what she did wrong. But I think we all know why she did what she did, why both her and Mirabel felt they had to seize the first opportunity they had to get gifts for themselves, considering... everything," casting a glance over to where Abuela was speaking quietly with Isabela. He turned back to me. "But one mistake does not mean we give up on people."

My face crumpled. "Papa, they took her and I just ... I didn't go after her. I hesitated. I let Isabela and Dolores bring me inside." I winced at the memory. "She was apologizing, she tried to hold my hand ... I pulled back. I wouldn't let her touch me." Tears spilled over. "She must think I hate her, and then that ... that woman came and took her."

"You were hurt," my father said, taking my hand and holding it. "But just like her, one mistake doesn't mean we give up on people. I know Y/N is not giving up on you. She is out there right now, doing something extremely risky to protect us - protect you, despite possibly thinking that you hate her. I think that says more than anything else." He grabbed my shoulder with his other hand. "And for the record, I don't think there is any way that girl could think you hate her. She would understand."

I nodded, breathing in a deep, shuddering breath, and stood up, looking at the door. I walked to it and grabbed it just because I didn't know what else to do - and it opened. My mouth dropped open. I hadn't expected it to really move. From behind me, I heard Tia Julieta scream with surprise, and then run out ahead of me, looking around the yard. I followed her, also looking around, but nothing greeted us except the darkness and the moon.

"What are you doing?" Abuela yelled, following us all as we streamed out of the house one-by-one. "We have to stay here! We have to protect Casita!" Isabela stood beside her, looking torn for the first time all night, looking after the rest of us.

"We will not leave two young children to face off against these people!" Tio Agustine yelled. "If you want to stay, stay, but we are leaving to go find them."

My mother and father were hugging Antonio, telling him to stay in the house with Abuela, that they would be back soon. My heart pulled - his face looked distraught, terrified, but he did as he was told, running back to Isabela, who took his hand.

Luisa, my Tio and Tia, my parents, Dolores and I gathered together in a circle. "Camilo, did you ever see where these people stayed?" Julieta asked me, her eyes desperate.

"No," I said. "They attacked us at the river, but I never knew where they were camped."

"Let's start there, then," my father said. "Maybe their camp isn't far away. Dolores can listen for them and hopefully catch one of them talking, or hear Y/N or Mirabel."