Decision

*Camilo*

"Camilo! Don't use the powers! You can destroy it! Don't use the powers!"

Time slowed down. I could hear Y/N screaming from above me. Pure adrenaline had kept me going this long, but my arm where Mirabel had accidentally stabbed me was suddenly throbbing, my legs aching, my chest on fire from running, climbing after Ramirez, after Y/N. I looked up as she screamed, seeing that she had thrown the catalyst towards me, over Ramirez's head. I didn't think, I just jumped, barely getting it in my hand before landing hard, falling down the rocks a bit before steadying myself, looking up just in time to see him hit her across the face, and then her slow fall off the rocks and into the lake below.

"Y/N!" I yelled, fear paralyzing me, and a split second later, I felt the catalyst giving me all its powers. I could feel all of them in me, recognizing my own, shape-shifting, my mother's, the ice, the lightening, the telekinesis, the super speed. I looked back up at Ramirez, who was finally, finally, looking at me like I was threat, his eyes filled with fear and rage. Fury filled my chest, accompanying the paralyzing fear that he had knocked Y/N unconscious and she was about to drown in the lake. Finally, finally, he was as good as dead, because I was going to kill him - for my mother, for every bit of pain he had inflicted on all of us, for Y/N.

But - I hesitated, remembering what Y/N had yelled at me. I could destroy it. I just couldn't use the powers. But why? How?

From the corner of my eye, I saw Diego running up the rocks to the right of where Ramirez was still poised and then before Ramirez could make a move towards him, he dived clear off the rocks into the lake, clearly going after Y/N.

Seeing Diego had snapped me out of my thoughts, and I turned back to Ramirez, who had his eyes on me. Why couldn't I use the powers? What was she talking about? I was holding it, nothing was happening. I watched the white glow of it in my hand, looking back up at Ramirez, who saw my hesitation and began to move back down towards me. Anger filled me again. I didn't care what Y/N said. I didn't care. I was going to kill him. I raised my hands, ready to use the powers I could feel flowing through me, watching as Ramirez climbed down towards me, making it only so much easier. I would kill him, and then dive in after Diego and Y/N to get them. I would sleep at night knowing the man who slaughtered my mother was dead, could never hurt any of us again. Finally, finally, not useless, finally - and yet -

I could hear Y/N's voice in my head, as if she was really there, telling me to not use the powers, telling me I could destroy it, telling me to trust her. I suddenly remembered Bruno's prophecy, of Y/N in the water, awake, swimming towards the surface and I realized that must be today - she must not have been knocked out. She could swim. Relief swept through me, allowing me to think clearly for a second, hesitate, look down at my hand again, the catalyst glowing within it. I closed my hand around it, shutting my eyes, trying to remember everything my father had told me about not giving in to anger or violence, knowing what he would do, what my mother would do - they would trust each other, the people they loved more than anything. They would not give in to rage.

But at the thought of my mother, my heart broke - she was gone, my mother, my mami, forever, because of him. I could see her face so clearly in front of me, her hands holding my face, looking at me so happily when I said I wanted to propose, so thrilled for me and Y/N that we had found someone we loved so young, someone we could trust above everyone. I looked up again. Ramirez had almost reached me, his eyes full of rage, and I knew he would kill me to get the catalyst back, would kill anyone else he ever needed to. I just needed to raise my hand, and he would be dead. I wanted it. I wanted it so badly. 

But I loved Y/N more. I loved my mother more than to give in to hate now. She would want me to trust Y/N.

I jumped, rolling to the side as Ramirez lunged at me, missing me by seconds. He fell hard, crashing and rolling further down the rocks below me. I scrambled upwards, climbing up towards the rock where Y/N had fallen, pulling myself up to stand, looking down at the water. Suddenly, I felt a burning sensation in my hand, and I opened up my fist to see the catalyst glowing bright red, before dissolving in my hands.