Smile ! (#35)

The sun smiled on the backyard garden will full splendor.
Fresh daisies and tulips gleamed under the afternoon golden rays.

Creepers decorated the white pavilions and cerulean walls. Ducks swam in the oval fountain, basking in the light.

The old haveli belonged to the Kapoor patriarch, the late Prithviraj Kapoor. His ancestral property in Pune had stories to tell. Of all the glamor it was once decked with. The splurge of money and fineries of life. Never ending parties that went on for weeks.

After a period of 16 years, the farmhouse had lit up once again.
This time for the most awaited moment for the Kapoor’s and perhaps, for the country and its billion cinema admirers.

Marriage of their fourth generation heir, their beloved son Ranbir Kapoor.

On Ranbir and his family’s request, the clan decided to clean up the haveli once again to be used for an occasion that had everyone on their toes.

Special security had been enforced around the 200 acre land and on the outskirts of Pune. Media vans had already made their tents outside the plot, in a space assigned to them.

The Kapoor’s intended to treat everyone with same generosity even if that meant keeping the hawk eyes camera lenses, happy.

A loud bell rung in the air as whistles and claps made their way down to the streets where the media had been eagerly waiting to hear.

The noises got them excited as a security head approached them with smile.

“Congratulations. Ranbir Sir and Alia ma’am are officially married!”

The wave of joy flowed through all the corners as crackers were burnt, sweets distributed with the beat of drums.

The newlyweds, walked towards the backyard garden where a flurry of camera men, waited for their exclusive photo and videography.

They held hands as the rays of light shone on their faces.

Ranbir in a pink-cream sherwani looked every inch a Prince. His family heirloom glittered coyly on his head.

Alia meanwhile, stunned in a pastel red bridal lehenga with golden work. Her freshly applied sindoor and a diamond mangalsutra dangling around her neck, teased every eye that looked upon her figure.

Signs that she was indeed married!

Their faces held a sense of peace and exuberant joy. Pink blotches of blush swimming on their milky cheeks. They made for a heavenly pair as nobody dared to take their eyes off them.

“Sir, Ma’am congratulations!” The camera men smiled.

“Thank you” the couple replied.
Then came the hour of nonstop flashes and long session of posing.

“Ma’am will you please look into Sir’s eyes ? A little more up… yes, perfect.”

“Sir please bend your chin a little on her shoulder. Yes, like that.”

“Hold her properly”

“Like they show in movies”

“Thoda right, thoda left”

“Perfect!”

Alia adjusted her maang tika and heaved a long breath. The outfit was heavy and jewelries weren’t helping either. She wanted a minimal look but nobody in her life would let her have her way! This was THEIR MOMENT so they made sure to doll her up.

Meanwhile Ranbir just had his problem with the pagdi being too stiff. Men!

“If they make me do this one more time, I am gonna throw this outfit on their face and dive into that fountain. Me and the duckkies will have more fun.” Ranbir’s eye sparkled at his wife’s complaint. She looked adorable with her outfit heavy issues but for the first time in her life, she had carried herself pretty well. And he loved that.