Jeena Yahan

[Ranbir's POV]

The house looked rather too clean tonight. We do have guests of course since it's New Year's Eve. Alia and I had wanted another home-bound affair with just the closest of our friends and their partners, that too in our comfiest pajamas. We would hang around, chill, eat, play games, sing songs, and welcome 2023.

This year we had everything going so well for us, especially with the birth of our child Raha. Life looks promising. 

"Harsh khaana sab ready haina?" I spotted our Chef in the corridor. "Very well Rk. Just waiting for the guests," he smiled. Just then I saw Alia walking around in her cute hairband with 2023 written. She looked herself, gorgeous and always comfortable. My definition of home. 

"Oho Alia, why do you keep biting yourself? Sab ready hai." I had to reassure my nerve ball of stress. "Ya but still we need to make sure everything is perfect." 

"Arey they're just friends who wouldn't mind even if our house is dirty." 

"They wouldn't but I would." I nodded with peace sign. 

"Biwi se agree karna is Rule No 1 of marriage. Great going." Ayan spoke as if he had experience. Showing him my tongue, I moved ahead towards the door to welcome more of our friends pouring in as we spoke. 

Rohit and his wife Jaanvi were oldest of my pals. So were Aditya, Ayan, Arjun and Binoy. Newest to our group were those from Alia's side like Abhishek, Shaheen and recently, my director Luv Ranjan and his wife. We had become tight knit over the years and it just brought instant comfort to us knowing that our bonds were only getting thicker with each of us getting settled with our partners, them adding more members to our big giant family. 

After initial greetings, we spread all over the place. Girls were mostly up at Raha's room, playing with her. Boys were catching up on football updates, sneaker and movie releases. It was perfect.

We still had two more hours to go till new year and thus each of us ate and chilled around the house. Some one was dancing, another talking too loud, and yet another lying around. Alia brought Raha to our 'infamous balcony' which was also our adda. Soon we were all huddled together in our cute little setting created by the Bhatt women. Rows of candles, scented flowers, soft music, comfiest cushions and a couch arranged in a manner that all of us could sit and snuggle in our balcony itself. 

Raha giggled in Rohit's arms as he played with her. I looked around myself to realize how wealthy I was. Rich to have a beautiful family, great friends, loyal fans, and a healthy life that many would kill to have. My heart welled up with gratitude. I was always the hider of emotions. Putting my feelings aside to remain stoic, composed. As if nothing penetrated me. 

It did. More gravely than anybody else as I am far too sensitive. But it has always been my default mechanism to hide and pretend. To never share or burden the other person. But today I just wanted to sing, dance, and drink with the ones who made my life this rich. To these happy faces I owed my eternal gratitude. For sticking with a tricky man. Choosing to trust him over any tabloid, false news. Staying loyal to him while he may have faltered at times. 

I cleared my throat loudly to get some attention. 

" जीना यहाँ मरना यहाँ, इसके सिवा जाना कहाँ " 

Eyes were on me as I stood facing them with my imaginary microphone. 

" जीना यहाँ मरना यहाँ, इसके सिवा जाना कहाँ