46. Mistletoe and (Lots of) Wine

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

booksmarts and broomsticks
act iii , turning tables
chapter forty-six ,  mistletoe and (lots of) wine

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

➖DRIA LOCKABY➖december 1993

DRIA LOCKABY
december 1993

"SHE'S GOING TO SET THE house on fire, Mum!"

           Perhaps the sight of a family huddled together in a living room — the fire blazing, the Christmas tree glistening — would be considered, on the first glance, the perfect picture of Christmas. However, the sight of the Lockaby family gathering in their Westminster living room, even with the blazing fire and glistening tree, would argue the toss.

        Hushed whispers were being exchanging between the two parents and the two twins, as they tried not to alert the eldest daughter who was busy cooking away in the next room — the term 'cooking' being used very loosely.

"That's hardly encouraging, is it?" Jules shot a pointed look at Maisie, whose foot was tapping anxiously upon the hardwood floor, her nostrils flaring at the strange aromas coming from the kitchen.

"I mean the apple wouldn't have fallen too far from the tree, would it?" Michael muttered, shooting an apologetic glance at his father, all the while resting his hand on the trusty golden retriever by his side.

"I just want to be able to eat my Christmas dinner!"

"I'm just thankful the burden isn't on me, this year." Allan said, shrugging off his son's insults.

       "This Delia Smith is right bitch!"

        The group of four straightened up in unison — even Kipper gave a startled bark — as the eldest daughter made her entrance from kitchen, her flour-covered face contorted into a grimace as she clutched a large cooking book in hand.