24. Save Me From Tears.

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

booksmarts and broomsticks
act ii , take a breath
chapter twenty-four , save me from tears

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

➖DRIA LOCKABY➖christmas 1992

DRIA LOCKABY
christmas 1992

THE CLINKING OF CUTLERY upon the surfaces of plates was all that could be heard as the three Lockaby children and their mother, wordlessly, ate through their Christmas dinner.

A Muggle radio, that Julia had acquired from one of her many ex-boyfriends, sat on top of the kitchen island and was connected to one of the Muggle channels, belting out Christmas songs amid the occasional advertisement. Dria recognised the song that was playing, as she felt her stomach fill but willed herself to keep eating — so as to avoid the inevitable conversation; it was song called Last Christmas by a Muggle pop duo called Wham! or was it Spam!, in all honesty Dria wasn't too sure.

She had a very clear memory of when the song had first been released in the December of 1984. Dria had been nine at the time, while Maisie and Michael would have been four and a half. She remembered her dad making fun of her mum for taking a fancy to one of the singers George Michael — it was Michael George? — and her throwing a sprout at him in response while the twins giggled away. It had been their last Christmas all together as one big happy family before the divorce.

Dria wondered if that song playing had been the reason for their conversation to lull — although it hadn't been entirely stimulating before then. It was a big reminder of what Christmas used to be, and it was laughing the four of them in their forlorn faces.

        "You want my last spud, Mais?" Dria cleared her throat, her voice quiet as she jabbed the last roast potato on her plate with her fork and outstretched it towards her sister, who sat opposite her.

        Her younger sister looked up from her plate, where she had been smearing around what was left her gravy, and gave her sister a small nod before taking the fork from her, with a short sigh.