25. A Polyjuice Purr-dicament

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

booksmarts and broomsticks
act ii , take a breath
chapter twenty-four , a polyjuice
purr-dicament

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

➖PHOEBE and CECELIA➖january 1993

PHOEBE and CECELIA
january 1993

        THE REMAINDER OF December and the early days of January passed all too quickly for Dria's liking, and it was safe to say that feeling was a first. 

        Following her less than joyful arrival at her Dad's cottage, she'd made the executive decision to bury herself under a blanket in the living room and eat as many sausage rolls as she could, as she read through her new books while Figaro was curled on her lap.

        Her mother had sent over her belongings via the Floo Network the next morning, and although Dria had no intention of going back to Westminster, the gesture still made her feel uneasy; as though she wasn't welcome back.

        New Year had been a bit of a turning point. Her dad had pulled her from the sofa, insisting she put on a coat and boots, before the two had proceeded down the snowy track into the centre of Ottery St. Catchpole.

       A large bonfire had been assembled in the village square, with various carts stationed around it selling hot pumpkins pasties and cups of Firewhisky. As soon as the clock ticked over the midnight, wizards and witches alike raised their wands to the sky and cast off a dozen enchantments to resemble fireworks.

Dria had then decided — as she stood in the snowy street, with her wand raised and casting fireworks into the sky — that she would start trying to move on.

The next morning, she'd sent off a letter with Gizmo to Oliver, containing her thanks and appreciation for the gifts he'd given her — just as he had requested in The Three Broomsticks — although she wasn't sure if he'd receive it before the start of the new term. Maisie and Michael also arrived at Mulberry Cottage that New Years' Day, to spend a couple of days with their dad before returning to school — as was the plan for all three to do, at least before Dria decided on an earlier arrival date.