05. A Lost Fucking Cause.

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

booksmarts and broomsticks
act i , a lovelorn lockaby
chapter five , a lost fucking cause

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

➖ THE HALLOWEEN FEAST ➖october 1991

THE HALLOWEEN FEAST
october 1991

"SO, THE CHASERS take the waffle—"

"Quaffle." Jackie groaned, from where her head lay buried in her arms that lay against the surface of the Gryffindor table.

       The Great Hall was dressed up to the nines to celebrate the occasion of Halloween. Pumpkins floated about in the air with carvings across their front, backlit by small candles that sat within them. The enchanted ceiling showed a terrific storm that coated the Hall in flashes of lightning and the sounds of clapping thunders. The four long tables, that lined the Hall, were stocked with every form of treat you could imagine; jugs full to the brim with pumpkin juice, bowls full of seasonal pies and mashed potatoes, as well as mountains of deserts that been eyed up by the hungry first-years, who gazed upon them with chocolate still smudged around their lips.

A good month had passed since Jackie had first offered her services to Dria, and they now sat together during the Halloween feast with Tess and Penny at their sides. The Hufflepuff was massaging her temples and gritting her teeth in irritation as she marvelled at how little progress a person could make in a month.

"C'mon Jackie, I mean Quaffle? Waffle? Are they really all that different?" Dria looked on Jackie with a nonchalant shrug as she took a mouthful of shepherd's pie.

Jackie looked up to meet her friend's gaze with a clenched jaw and manic eyes as she met the blue ones of Dria, who was trying ever so hard to explain the gameplay of Quidditch, while the Hufflepuff desperately fought the urge to slap her across the face.

"Yes, Dria—!" The Hufflepuff began, nodding her head in an almost maniacal state. "You know what? I give up.

"Harry Potter has learnt to play the bloody game in less time, Dria and you can't even get the name of the ball right!" Jackie cried, slamming her hand down upon the hardwood of the table. "And he's eleven, a boy and raised by Muggles! Fucking Muggles!"