28. It's A Cruel World

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

booksmarts and broomsticks
act ii , take a breath
chapter twenty-eight , it's a cruel world

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

➖JACKIE O'HARE ➖may 1993

JACKIE O'HARE
may 1993

        "ARE YOU SURE WE'RE allowed to be in here, Jackie?"

        Dria found herself feeling unsettled as her and Tess lingered inside the Hufflepuff Quidditch tent as they watched Jackie fasten her shin pads — all the while avoiding the sharp gazes of her teammates, who looked less than impressed to see two Gryffindors in their tent before a match.

         "Do you really think the staff are going to kick off about you being in the Quidditch tent?" Jackie asked amidst a chuckle, not sparing a glance at her friends who stood huddled together in their discomfort.

         "Not the staff, your teammates!"

         Dria's statement caused Jackie to look up and turn around in order to look at the other players on the Hufflepuff Quidditch team. The Irish girl spared them an insincere smile, before turning back to the two Gryffindors who had plastered tight-lipped smiles on their own faces and spared them awkward waves.

        "Don't mind them." Jackie huffed, getting to her feet from the bench she was sat on. "They're shitting themselves."

         "We are not!" A voice called out, in objection to Jackie's observation.

          Dria looked across to see the voice belonged to one of the Hufflepuff Beaters, a burly fifth year called Anthony Rickett who was stood next to one of the team's Chasers, Maxine O'Flaherty who was quick to add:

         "Maybe you should stop consorting with the enemy, O'Hare."

        Dria felt Tess edge a little closer towards her and link their arms together.