51. Impending Death and Egg Breath

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

booksmarts and broomsticks
act iii , turning tables
chapter fifty-one , impending death and egg breath

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

➖DRIA LOCKABY➖april 1994

DRIA LOCKABY
april 1994

"WHERE DO YOU see yourself in the next five years?"

"Honestly? Probably dead in a ditch."

"Jackie!"

The final chills of winter had slowly but surely morphed fully into spring. Ever since, Dria and Oliver had made a point of not wanting to waste their time left at school, the blonde could have sworn she'd never known time to pass so quickly.

As the month of April dawned upon them so did the Easter holidays, a two week break from education that had seen the three Lockaby children return to Mulberry Cottage and promptly eat their weight in Easter chocolate. Dria had to say that it was perhaps the least eventful trip home she'd ever had; their Easter roast was perfectly cooked — needless to say due to the fact that neither her nor her father had taken any involvement in its preparation — and, aside from the mild peril that Kipper had been in after eating a piece of Michael's Mars Bar easter egg, there was very little to report.

Upon her return to school, any prior sense of idleness had swiftly disappeared from the lives of the seventh year cohort and was promptly replaced with the impending pressure of NEWTs, Quidditch finals and the newest pain in the backside in Dria's life known as careers sessions.

"I'll be twenty three, past my prime ... it's the merciful thing for the universe to do." Jackie went on from where she was slumped back in her chair, grimacing at the sight of the large form sat in front of her.

"Okay, you're useless." Penny promptly resigned herself from helping the O'Hare girl, turning her attention back to her own form, which she at least two thirds of the way through completing.