Vienna (song fic)

A/N: it's been a while since I've done a song fic. I do not own this song it is Vienna by billy joel you should all go and listen to it.

before we get into this oneshot it was inspired by a tik tok I saw of a ianto edit to this song by an @ called iantoscoffeemug (I think that was the @ ) so yall should check him out too.

Last but not least I didn't quite finish the song because I wanted this fic to be Iantos life but I couldn't think of a way to make the last verse happy and I wanted to end it on a happy note because we don't kill ianto Jones in this household. Not too often anyway. Enjoy and remember no fluff until you've finished your angst.
—————————————————————————

Slow down you crazy child
"IANTO" his mother yelled as ianto, just five years of age, had rushed through the field. It wasn't a perfect a sight like in the movies with idyllic children skipping through flower fields in the golden sun. It was wales in late winter and he skidded and slid in the mud of the barren field as he laughed at his family trudging behind him. "Rhiannon get your brother" were the laughed words he heard over the whistling wind.

You're so ambitious for a juvenile
"You're not gonna be able to get to the top" his sister called sounding rather worried about her eight year old brother as he swung himself from branch to branch up the old oak tree at the bottom of their garden. "Sure I am" he called back his voice losing its edge as he slipped slightly on the bark. Rhiannon's heart was in her mouth and it seemed an age before her brother finally regained his footing.

But then if you're so smart tell me,
Rhiannon scowled at her homework "I haven't learnt any of this" she grumbled under her breath. Ianto looked up from his book just eleven years old but a mind way beyond his years "maybe if you stopped trying to chat up Johnny Davies for half the year" he shot wittily. She glared at her little brother "smart arse".

Why are you still so afraid?
He was thirteen when his mam left. She disappeared overnight after a particularly nasty argument with his father leaving nothing but a note goodbye on the kitchen table. Ianto had always favourited her over the rest of his family and he didn't know what he was going to do. Was he not enough? Why didn't she take him with her? Would he ever see her again? He curled up on his bed and cried that day a feeling of fear settling at the bottom of his stomach where it would remain for many years into the future.

Where's the fire, what's the hurry about?
He was fifteen when he too tried to run away, sick of the way his father was treating him after his older sister flew the nest. He only got as far as the next town when the police met him at the bus stop. He tried to run of course he did but he was dragged back to his home kicking and screaming while adults tried to tell him how he felt and to not try and hurry his growing process when he still had people who wanted to care for him. If only they knew how little of that he had.

You better cool it off before you burn it out
He had been bullied for half of his life but he was sixteen when he finally snapped, throwing himself at the boy who had made countless comments on iantos appearance and life. He briefly remembered being pulled into an office and being told that violence was never the answer. He wasn't listening.

You got so much to do and only
so many hours in a day.
When he was eighteen he moved to london. Finally freedom. But with that freedom came adulthood. Bills to pay and crippling debt leaving his with nothing but a broken flat and a meal a day. He almost always felt as if he had no time for it all. No time to fix his life.

But you know that when the truth is told
Yvonne Hartman. The woman who changed his life and ruined it with just one contract. Torchwood knew everything about him. There was no secrets. He was hung out on the line for everyone to see.