The secret regrets of Ianto Jones

"Owen please" Ianto all but begged as the medic hustled the problematic teenager, Bernie Harris, back inside. Owen didn't listen "Owen go easy on him" ianto tried again, raising his voice a fraction. Owen finally spun around "why should I, ianto? Eh? He steals, he blackmailed a man to his death and he'll probably do it again he doesn't deserve to be even touched."
"We all make mistakes, Owen" ianto called weakly after the Londoner.

————————biggggg flashback———————

Ianto was 16, that's all. He didn't know any better. He was running from the shops security, his arms full of bags. He had stolen again. He didn't have any money, it was all he could do. It was all he had done ... for 5 years. Whatever ianto needed he took and if he couldn't take it ... he broke it. Today was different though, he disappeared around a corner and checked the bags. Everything was there. However it wasn't what he would normally steal. The bags were filled to the brim of newborn baby clothes, nappies, dummies and toys. The baby would be here in a matter of weeks, ianto wanted to make sure his girlfriend was prepared. He set off running again, today it was essential he didn't get caught. If he got caught they would search his bag and if they did that they would certainly call his family. They couldn't know he'd gotten his girlfriend pregnant, not even Rhiannon knew and he knew he could tell her anything. But even his older sister would go ballistic if they found out. He had never met his girlfriends parents they had abandoned her as a baby and she was currently living in care, they vowed they would never do that to their baby despite her social worker's advice.

He took a breath and knocked on the door of the care home. One of the care workers answered the door "ianto!" She exclaimed "you're here to see Hannah??", ianto nodded as he entered the building. He ran up the stairs with his bags and was surprised to not find Hannah in her room. He stopped a young girl on her way to dinner "do you know where Hannah is?" He asked her in a low voice. The girl nodded her head "she's talking to lucy and Ryan in the office" the girl leant closer to ianto and whispered "she said she made a decision on her own .... no one will tell me what though". Ianto nodded his head and decided to wait outside the office for Hannah. She soon emerged teary eyes and clutching a tissue "I-ianto!" She exclaimed in surprise. Ianto stood hastily "I got you this... for the baby .... when he comes". Hannah shook her head and passed the bag back to him "ianto i- I'm not going to keep the baby ....... I'm taking Sasha's advice .... he's going up for adoption". Ianto's head span and he dropped the bag to the floor not caring if anything was broken "right that's it then I understand" he babbled a little too harshly as he rushed out the door like a tornado leaving Hannah sniffling behind him. He ran for around fifteen minutes before he flung himself behind a tree throwing a Pinecone at the ground for good measure. He pushed down the emotions bubbling up inside him and sat stony faced in red light of the evening.

———————back to adult ianto———————

He sighed in defeat as he watched Owen waltz off with Bernie. His mind turned to his child, he'd never even met the kid. What was his name? Did he look like ianto? Would he have Ianto's neat streak, or his temper? He sighed, he guessed he'd never find out. Everyday his heart broke knowing he could be crossing his own flesh and blood on the streets. His blood turned cold at remembering all of the young boys he'd glared at for wrecking the park, realising one of them could be his child and he'd never know. Life just isn't fair.

————————————————————————

A/N:
I'm probably going to do a sequel oneshot to this oneshot. If that makes sense 😂