Some things don't need saying

Jack hated these days. The days that felt like nothing. The days that were nothing and everything. The days even the rift took pity on him and left. The days when the pain he felt was worse than all of his deaths put together. The days that it wasn't physical pain, but emotional. The days when all he wanted was to curl up in a ball and cry. But not today. He couldn't cry today. The team weren't in he'd sent out a message saying that they could have the day off as the rift was quiet. But one member had chosen to ignore the memo. "Hello jack" ianto jones said chirpily as he entered the hub. Jack looked at him while pinching the bridge of his nose "ianto I gave everyone a day off..... why are you here". "You said the rift was quiet. Perfect day for me to catch up on paperwork" the younger man explained simply before collecting files that had been left out.

Later that day jack was sat in his office flicking sadly and distractedly through a book when he heard his door open. He forced himself into smiling as ianto entered his office "coffee for you jack" the Welshman said as he moved behind jacks desk to place it where the immortal could reach it easily. It was all fairly normal until ianto ran a hand through jacks hair "let me know if you need anything like more coffee or something ok?" He said and jack nodded. "Right then" ianto concluded "I better go get a few files sorted" he pressed a kiss to jacks forehead "love you" he finalised before waltzing out of the office leaving the captain slightly baffled and confused. They had said 'I love you' before, of course they had it was true after all, but they had never said it so casually or domestically before. To jack if felt amazing to be the receiver of a love that cane so easily to the giver.

The second incident was in the main hub when jack had felt the need to check on a few computers. Jack had easily spotted the Welshman tapping away at the keyboard as if his life depended on it. "What are you doing" jack queried and smiled slightly as ianto jumped and spun round "I was just finishing up a few antivirus programs and high tech firewalls .... thought you could do without the stress" he admitted to the captain. Jack smirked "and why could I do without the stress ?" He asked half amused half still hurting. Ianto smiled at the older man before reaching forward and tapping jack on the nose "because you already work so hard cariad" he told the him before turning back to the computer. Jack blushed at the action as he turned back to his office silently remind himself that jack harkness doesn't blush. Once back in his office he opened his laptop and promptly searched the word "cariad". He blushed even harder when he found that the word was a welsh term for endearment mainly meaning 'love' or 'beloved one'.

Jack thought that maybe it would take his mind off things if he attempted to do some work. He logged into his laptop and begun reading through his emails when he heard the door open. Jack glanced up to see that it was just ianto and soon returned to his work. Shortly after jack felt a presence behind him before two arms were wrapped around his shoulders and a body leant up against the back of his office chair. "What are you doing" ianto asked in a low voice as he rested his chin on jacks head. "I was just gonna reply to some emails" jack explained as he clicked on the reply icon on an email from unit "I thought you had files to do?" The captain half stated half asked as he started to type. Ianto fidgeted with jacks shirt seeming half hesitant before he spoke "I finished that about half an hour ago. I thought you might like some company" he explained. Jack sighed softly "ianto .... now is not the time. I'm not even really up to -" he stated his voice still soft. Ianto frowned and looked down at where his hands were fingering with jacks shirt buttons "OH no not that kinda of company sorry just thought I could be here stop you getting lonely" he replied laughter in his voice. Jack huffed out a small laugh before he resumed his typing as he signed of the email. Jack looked up at Ianto and he skimmed through the email quickly as he checked for spelling and grammatical errors "hmm" he teased "not to back captain". Jack smiled softly as he turned back to the computer.

A few moments passed before ianto spoke again "alright then jack, wanna tell me what's up?" He asked the older man in a soft voice. "What do you mean" jack replied "I'm fine". Ianto sighed "no you're not" he stated as he ran circles on the immortals arm with his finger. Jack stopped typing and leant his head back onto Ianto. "It's stupid" he began "but sometimes there's one day that feels like nothing and everything at the same time. There's some days when I realise that one day everyone I love will be gone and I'll still be here.... forever" he explained as his voice thickened and broke slightly as a small tear trailed down his cheek before he furiously wiped it away. Ianto gently spun jacks office chair round as he bent to jacks level, forcing them to lock eyes "it's okay to cry" he explained in a soft voice. Jack never normally cried in front of people, especially not in front of his employees, not unless he really couldn't help it. However is to wasn't just people, he wasn't just an employee, he was Ianto: his lover. Sweet kind ianto who only had to hear that jack had been killed when he himself hadn't been there before he was offering his comfort and love to the captain. Soon enough jack found himself rested up against Ianto's chest as painful sobs wracked his body. Minutes passed as jack listened to the heartbeat of ianto as he vaguely registered the soft welsh vowels of comfort over his own sobs. After what seemed to jack like a year his sobs subsided enough to speak. He looked up at ianto with dewy eyes "how.... how did you know something was wrong" he asked his voice still thick with tears. Ianto looked down into jacks eyes and smiled softly "some things don't need saying" he explained in a low voice before pressing two kisses to jacks forehead and pulling him into an even tighter safer embrace than ever before.