Soulmates and sponges

A/N:
Yes this is a soulmate au. It's the one where the name of your soulmate appears on your wrist

————————————————————————

Ianto jones never showed anyone his soul mark. Not because he didn't want to. But because it had changed. He thought it might be because his soulmate had changed to someone else, but no one had ever experienced that before. First it was a name that he couldn't believe was even real 'Javic piotr thane' . Then it was the simple name 'jack harkness'. So to avoid any confusion he pretended that he simply didn't have a soul mark. It became Ianto's daily routine as a teenager to sneak into his mums room and use her makeup to cover up his soulmark. Another reason ianto told people he had no soulmark was because jack was clearly a guys name and ianto jones who had grown up in a mildly homophobic family was 100% straight right?. Despite his denial ianto had tried to search for his soulmate online and on social media but it was no use there were hundreds and hundreds of people with that exact name.

One day, in his teens, ianto was desperate for answers as to why his soulmark may have changed when he stumbled upon an article. The article was about a young woman and her trans mtf soulmate. She said how when her soulmate legally changed her name from David to autumn, her soulmate changed from David to autumn too. Iantos eyes widened, maybe his soulmate had changed his name. He shook his head, but it still didn't change anything. He was still totally and utterly straight.

His sixteenth birthday came and went and he watched his favourite film with his family. However this time it felt different, he shifted, feeling like he was being watched as he realised with embarrassment that the male lead was actually very attractive. Ianto furrowed his brow slightly 'do I want him or do I want to BE him??' He thought as he glanced around the room, worried he was thinking too loud.

Years past and ianto forgot all about that fateful evening. Covering his soul mark was becoming easier and easier by the day, he no longer felt guilty doing it. Then he met Lisa when he worked for torchwood one. She didn't have a soulmate and, as far as she knew, neither did he. It was perfect and ianto didn't think he could get any happier.

But then the battle happened and ianto had to carry his half cyber girlfriend out of the flames and to safety. He traveled back to Cardiff. He needed a way into torchwood three it was the only way to keep her safe.

When he met the boss though, everything started to go pear shaped. It began at the introduction after an encounter with an alien that ianto knew was being called a weevil from watching the Cardiff team. The man who stood in front of him introduced himself and Ianto's whole world spun "captain jack harkness" said the man "and you are?". "Jones, ianto jones" he babbled reaching out to shake the mans hand as he scanned his face for recognition of the name. He found none and ianto found himself being disappointed as the admittedly attractive captain sauntered off. "Pull yourself together jones you've got a girlfriend" he muttered to himself and that was that then.

The next few months were a blur he got the job at torchwood and kept Lisa hidden from the rest of the team. He managed to stay invisible, but not so invisible that he seemed suspicious of course. However Ianto's life took a turn for the worse. Lisa died. Worse still, she tried to kill his friends and then his friends killed her. He wasn't sure where he stood on the matter and was half sure he would lose his job. He was highly surprised when he found that no more was said on the matter though he got a few dirty looks from Owen for about a week.

That brought him to the day he placed a coffee on his boss's desk. He turned to leave in silence like usual, but this time the captain spoke up. "Ianto?" He wondered out loud "do you have a soulmark?". Ianto panicked for a second "no" he lied half with instinct before rushing out the room.

Jack sighed tracing the name on his wrist... yet another person with the same name name as his soulmate. What was worse for the captain, though, is he though he might be falling for this one.

Ianto attempted to avoid the captain from there on out. He couldn't tell jack about his soulmark it would be far to embarrassing and he couldn't have the captain thinking that he had only stuck around because of his soulmark. Why had jack even asked him about it. He assumed it was just jacks way of finding more out about his colleagues. But as time went on ianto felt himself becoming more and more desperate to find his true soul mate. Gwen married Rhys (her soulmate) and tosh was still trying to work out the courage to ask Owen if he was the same Owen harper as was etched on her wrist. What was worrying to the young Welshman was he was beginning to become smitten with the captain.

One day ianto was cleaning the SUV, they couldn't get it professionally cleaned because of the high tech alien equipment built into it. He was elbow deep in hot soapy water when the captain appeared. "Found you" jack stated playfully as he scooped up a few bubbles and blowing them toward ianto, laughing when they got stuck in the welshman's hair. Ianto shook his head smiling fondly despite himself "you're such a child" he muttered before raising his arm to continue cleaning the car. Jacks eyes suddenly widened and he leant against the car "ianto" he said in a tone that wasn't quite warming but was no longer playful. Ianto looked at him in surprise as jack stared at his wrist. In horror ianto glanced at his wrist, noticing how the soapy water had washed away the foundation he so carefully covered his mark with. "Why didn't you tell me ianto" the captain asked "do you not like me?" He queried his voice and facial expression making him sound and look like a kicked puppy. Ianto's eyes softened, "jack it's not that, it's just ...well you have to have my name and you don't". Ianto's brain finally clicked as jack began to remove his wrist strap revealing the name 'Ianto jones' etched onto his wrist. Ianto let out an awkward laugh as jack smiled at him "so you know how easy it is to find 'ianto Jones' in Cardiff. It's too easy and not one of them had my name." Ianto blushed slightly "guess I'm an idiot .... wasn't like I was going to find another jack harkness anywhere was it". Jack smiled "you're not an idiot you're perfect" he seemed to think a minute before continuing "in fact, let me take you out properly this weekend". Ianto scrunched up his nose pretending to consider "hmmmmmm. I'll think about it..." upon hearing this, jack smirked "don't act like you don't want this" he said while turning away leaving ianto to wash the car. Ianto laughed and turned throwing a wet soapy sponge at the immortal. Jack yelped as it hit him square on the back of the head dripping soap down his neck. Ianto really was quite a good aim.